Virtual Box Hardening Issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
CCS

Virtual Box Hardening Issue

Post by CCS »

VBoxHardening.log
(96.53 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Hi everybody,

I'm running VirtualBox version 5.1.10 on Windows 10 64-bit and every time I try to start a virtual machine, I get the following error message:

The virtual machine 'STC Testing' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\Backup\VirtualBox VMs\STC Testing\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}

I have followed the steps under the virtual box hardening issues thread, but I am having no luck in starting a virtual machine. Attached is the hardening log.
robert123

Re: Virtual Box Hardening Issue

Post by robert123 »

I'm in the same boat. This problem originated for me as of yesterday (and I've never seen it before one my computer). It's also important for me to note that this happened immediately after running the big windows update 3 days ago (so I want to blame Microsoft for this, but as mentioned below, I'm not sure if it's their fault). Note, I'm using Windows 10 and Virtualbox Version 5.1.18 r114002 (Qt5.6.2) -- which has never caused problems up until this point and my log is attached as: VBoxHardening-part1.log

Things I've verified:
0) I've deleted all my virtual machines (as a sanity check). No help.
1) The mentioned dlls have been unmodified since before the update, I believe (see attached image) -- so they should be fine
2) My company uses Total Defense Security Center. As far as I know, Google isn't telling me about any horror stories with them, and it's never been a problem since.
3) Yes, I've checked that my virtualization is on in the bios -- I've definitely been creating VMs just fine the last 12 months.

Please tell me if there's anything else worth looking into!!!!!

==========================================================================================================================================

SIDE NOTE: At some point I was getting a different error (see VBoxHardening-part2.log). BUT AS OF TODAY, I'M STILL SEEING THE ORIGINAL ERROR :(
1) I redownloaded Virtualbox to see if it would correct one of the dlls, but I think I'm getting another problem that isn't helping
Driver is probably stuck stopping/starting. Try 'sc.exe query vboxdrv' to get more information about its state. Rebooting may actually help.
29fc.a24: supR3HardenedWinCheckChild: enmRequest=2 rc=-101 enmWhat=3 supR3HardenedWinReSpawn: NtCreateFile(\Device\VBoxDrvStub) failed: 0xc0000034 STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND (0 retries)

2) I've tried the sc.exe query vboxdrv query which is giving me the message below... sc.exe start vboxdrv doesn't help
SERVICE_NAME: vboxdrv
TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
STATE : 1 STOPPED
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 2 (0x2)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

3) Restarted machine a few times, and today I'm seeing the original error again. I'm so confused... :?
Attachments
Verifying the dlls haven't been updated in the last few days
Verifying the dlls haven't been updated in the last few days
all.png (23.77 KiB) Viewed 895 times
VBoxHardening-part2.log
After redownloading Virtualbox, this is the error message I was getting.
(11.2 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
VBoxHardening-part1.log
First error which was similar to OPs log.
(46.25 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
robert123

Re: Virtual Box Hardening Issue

Post by robert123 »

1) I JUST tried a rollback to a previous version of Windows. I'm seeing the same error. I'm so confused :S
2) Just tried scanning DLLs:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

3) For those wondering, I'm trying to avoid updating from 5.1.18 to 5.1.latest or 5.2.x because I use Vagrant to bring up my boxes (and I'm worried about compatibility issues: https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/virtualbox/ )

Thoughts???