Bridged adapter not working on Ubuntu 17.10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rockislife

Bridged adapter not working on Ubuntu 17.10

Post by rockislife »

Just downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu 17.10 and I went to set up bridged adapter. I installed guest addition. I switched from NAT to Bridged adapter and selected my network card. It doesn't work at all. My VM has internet access when its set to NAT but when I switch to Bridged adapter, It loses connectivity. My VM says that a wired interface is connected but it doesnt get an IP when in Bridged adapter mode.

Is there a setting I am missing?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Bridged adapter not working on Ubuntu 17.10

Post by BillG »

Have you run a vm in bridged mode before on this guest? Did it get an IP? Is there a DHCP server on your LAN?
Bill
rockislife

Post by rockislife »

BillG wrote:Have you run a vm in bridged mode before on this guest? Did it get an IP? Is there a DHCP server on your LAN?
Yes I have ran a bridged mode VM before. I had a pfsense vm that was handling an internal network. It had an IP(The PFSense VM) and I can confirm that there is a DHCP server on my LAN.
Jay East

Post by Jay East »

I think the new version of Virtualbox has some bug in this code, I am using the Virtualbox in Windows 10 and also upgrade to the last version, and when I upgrade completed, I found my existed VM can't started, and I found all my VM' Bridged Adapter is all losted, and status is 'Not selected'.

I think it's a programing bug, not something else.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

I would have gone to 5.2.0 rather than backwards. I have been running that for a while now with no problems and all my vms use bridged.

I have never seen the network settings of a vm change from bridged to not attached. If it did and you now can't select bridged I suspect there is something wrong with the NIC driver in Windows 10 and VirtualBox can't see it. What is the NIC in the physical machine?

Have you checked that there is a check mark in VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver in the properties of the NIC when viewed from the host OS?
Bill
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

If the problem is within the guest, you could try clearing the check mark from adapter 1 and enabling another adapter. This has worked for me in the past to clear an odd problem with a vm NIC.
Bill
rockislife

Post by rockislife »

BillG wrote:I would have gone to 5.2.0 rather than backwards. I have been running that for a while now with no problems and all my vms use bridged.

I have never seen the network settings of a vm change from bridged to not attached. If it did and you now can't select bridged I suspect there is something wrong with the NIC driver in Windows 10 and VirtualBox can't see it. What is the NIC in the physical machine?

Have you checked that there is a check mark in VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver in the properties of the NIC when viewed from the host OS?
I am at Virtual Box 5.2.0. My physical adapter is Broadcom 802.11ac network adapter. Where do I go to find VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver? I looked in all settings for my NIC that I know of.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

Network and Sharing Center>Change adapter settings>right-click your NIC>Properties.
NDIS6.PNG
Bill
rockislife

Post by rockislife »

BillG wrote:Network and Sharing Center>Change adapter settings>right-click your NIC>Properties.
NDIS6.PNG
Sorry For the late reply. I unchecked the Driver on all wireless interface, restared then rechecked it, and no change. I wanted to see if it was the VM so I tried it in another and same result. I also redid the unchecking and rechecking of the box net to the driver after I updated my Nic Drivers. Still no Luck