5.2 installer trying to install 5.1.2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Bennett

5.2 installer trying to install 5.1.2

Post by Bennett »

I just downloaded VirtualBox-5.2.0-118431-Win.exe to install on my Windows 10 PC. I have the Fall creator's update installed. When I try to install it, I go through all of the prompts and finally click install. Then I get and error message:
The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.
Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "VirtualBox-5.1.2-r108956-MultiArch_amd64.msi" in the box below.

The box below points to a temp folder on my C: drive under my profile. When I use file explorer to look, I see this file instead:
VirtualBox-5.2.0-r118431-MultiArch_amd64.msi

I think the MSI is horked and is trying to install the older version. I tried copying the temp VirtualBox folder in my profile and then running the MSI directly but I get the same error message.

Bennett
Bennett

Re: 5.2 installer trying to install 5.1.2

Post by Bennett »

I finally figured it out. I had an android emulator installed that was using vbox 5.1.2. The installer was trying to uninstall that version before upgrading. Once I figured that out, I downloaded 5.1.2 and ran that install. That let me do a repair and then I could upgrade it. Problem solved.