[Fixed] 5.2.0 Bridged fails w/ only VBox Bridged Driver selected (#17543)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Poul

Re: 5.2.0 Bridged fails w/ only VBox Bridged Driver selected

Post by Poul »

I just tried the same setup as msabin: Bridging to a Wireless Network Card where all properties are disabled (except Virtualbox BRIDGING). The guest never gets an IP address. If I check the 'TCP/IP v4' setting of the Wireless Card, it does Work. I tried the newest test build as well as the official 5.2 release, I even went back 10 VB 5.1.30. Only the offical 5.2.0 release refuses to Work when 'TCP/IP v4' is checked.
I actually like the idea of isolating the guest like that, which is why I tried it. I followed Scottgu's post here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=84176&p=399344&hili ... on#p399344
He also mentions that you can't do it with Wireless Network Card.
Are you sure this setup (with empty properties) has ever worked for you?
msabin

Post by msabin »

I've been using it all day under 5.1.30 - I've had excellent service from the wireless for the Guest and maintained an excellent wired connection for the Host.
Been using it in 5.x for the last 6 months in fact.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@msabin
I have the feeling that this is a different issue from the one originally described here. I don't have access at my Win hosts at the moment, but I will in at least 24 hours. I'll give it a run and see if I can replicate your results...

In the meantime, anyone reading this and can replicate (or not) the issue, your input would be valuable...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Poul

Post by Poul »

@msabin, I'm sorry, I sounded rude, I just couldn't get it working. I'm now on Virtualbox 5.1.30.
However, now I have actually succeeded. But only when I check some of the properties. If only the 'bridging' property is checked, then it won't connect!
Below is the properties page (in Danish, sorry) with the checked properties:
Wireless.png
Wireless.png (22.01 KiB) Viewed 5684 times
Please check if this Works for you too (I have only tried in VB5.1.30).
msabin

Post by msabin »

I didn't think you sounded rude, I was just responding quickly.

I've checked my settings and find that you now have yours set the same as mine - working in 5.1.30.
I all three Link-Layer components and the VirtualBox NDIS driver checked (I also have the QoS scheduler, but it's not likely related)

The set works fine in 5.1.30 and not well in 5.2.x

Packet capturing from the Guest, I see broadcasts from the wireless network, but never receive unicast packets.
Packet capturing from the Host, I see broadcasts from the Guest leave, and I see the ARP request from the network looking for the Guest, but I never see the Guest respond.
With no ARP, and no unicast, networking is poor.
Poul

Post by Poul »

@msabin (or rather @Oracle): I just installed the latest test build (5.2.1 rev. 118918) and I can confirm that is still doesn't Work (when TCP/IP v4 is unchecked). I tried both the internal Intel Wireless Card (on my laptop) as well as an USB wireless Card.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@msabin, Poul,
I split the thread from the original "[Fixed] Bridged networking 5.2.0 issues (#17186)", because I think that it is its own issue. Plus we were all replying to a "fixed" issue, an issue about Bridged networking done "normally", a more generic issue. I believe that yours is a different one, not fixed on the SVN. One that deserves it's own thread.

Still haven't been able to test it on my Win hosts, but I will within the weekend...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Does it work if you enable host access to the network? I realize this is not what you want, it's just a test.

I'm thinking: the WiFi is powered down if the driver thinks Windows isn't using it. That would make it a driver bug you'd have to explain to Intel about.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Don, the thing is that the same setup works with 5.1.30, but not with 5.2.x. I'm thinking more of a VirtualBox issue rather than a driver one. I suspect something to do with querying the host about the NICs abilities and status...
Poul

Post by Poul »

@mpack: Don't know if it matters, but I have NOT installed 'Host-Only' networking, I never do.
and thanks to Socratis for splitting this up, it's a different isssue.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I don't think mpack means the HostOnly network option during installation, but rather allowing your host to use your WiFi card along with your guest, i.e. enabling the TCP/IPv4 and/or TCP/IPv6 protocol options in your WiFi card.
Poul

Post by Poul »

@mpack: Yes, that was the original question in the original topic, that part has been fixed (tested with 2 Wireless Cards) in testbuilds.
meptalon

Post by meptalon »

Hi all,

Just to confirm too, I had that problem too (host Windows 7 x64, guest Windows 7 x64). The VM was using a bridged connection to my internal Wifi adapter (Dell laptop too AC 8260 chipset), and everything was going fine before migration to 5.2. Right after, I could not connect anymore (unless I changed to LAN for instance).

I uninstalled, reinstalled version 5.2.1 build 119001 and now it's back to working order.

Thanks for the thread. It saved me from many hours of headaches!

Kind regards,
Denis
msabin

Post by msabin »

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to this, big project at work!

I've just installed 5.2.1-119001

Still not working, either with or without IP4 connected in the host's WiFi adapter properties.

Ah, success!! - In the Virtual Box Manager GUI, I changed the network adapter of the guest to the wired adapter for a quick test and back.
Now I have non-IP4 (on host) bridged connection through the wireless NIC - as hoped.

Thanks for the help and trouble expended on my behalf.
msabin

Post by msabin »

I typed too soon...

Shutdown the laptop over the weekend and on Monday it wouldn't work again. I've tried changing the network settings in the Virtualbox manager and deleting and replacing virtual NICs and reinstalling Virtualbox - just got the one success, and lots of no-gos.