Create a Network For Guests and Host Machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jedi

Create a Network For Guests and Host Machine

Post by Jedi »

I have Ubuntu guest VM running on Windows 10 Host. I am trying to configure a network between the guest machine and host machine so they can communicate with each other by following a tutorial at tecmint.

However when I go to the File/Preferences/Network interface the "Host-only Networks " tab is missing. See attached screenshot.
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot.png (92.94 KiB) Viewed 9975 times
Does anyone know why this is?

Thank you for your help.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Create a Network For Guests and Host Machine

Post by BillG »

The host only adapter is usually installed by default when you install VirtualBox, but there is an install option to prevent it.

I would shut down the guest and uninstall then reinstall VirtualBox. You can easily check that the host only adapter is installed. It will appear as an adapter in Network and Sharing Center.

Are you running VirtualBox 5.2.0? Try using the new Global Tools in the top right of VirtualBox Manager window.
Bill
Jedi

Post by Jedi »

The Host-only Adapter appears in Network and Sharing Center.

I have uninstalled reinstalled VirtualBox version Version 5.2.0 r118431 (Qt5.6.2). I have not installed Guest Additions or any Extension Packs.

I accepted all the defaults on installation, see screenshot below.
2017-10-30 (1).png
2017-10-30 (1).png (17.75 KiB) Viewed 9894 times
Interestingly when I install version 5.1.30 r118389 (Qt5.6.2) the Host-only Network tab shows up.

I have looked at Global Tools but not made any changes. See below screenshot.
2017-10-30.png
2017-10-30.png (25.73 KiB) Viewed 9894 times
Have tried all this on another computer as well, same result?
2017-10-30 (2).png
2017-10-30 (2).png (18.58 KiB) Viewed 9894 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The "Host-Only networks" have been moved from the "Network" section of the VirtualBox Preferences to the "Host Network Manager" tab of the "Global Tools" in version 5.2.0. Exactly like you show in the attached pictures, exactly what Billg told you. It's in a different location, that's all...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jedi

Post by Jedi »

Ok thanks. "The "Host-Only networks" have been moved from the "Network" section of the VirtualBox Preferences to the "Host Network Manager" tab of the "Global Tools" in version 5.2.0." That was what I needed to know, appreciate your help.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Actually it was "BillG" that pointed you to the solution:
BillG wrote: Are you running VirtualBox 5.2.0? Try using the new Global Tools in the top right of VirtualBox Manager window.
I just made it... bold ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.