VERR_SVM_NO_SVM with Windows 10 Version 1709

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BoxxedTC

VERR_SVM_NO_SVM with Windows 10 Version 1709

Post by BoxxedTC »

Hello,

I'm unable to start any VM with "AMD-V is not available (VERR_SVM_NO_SVM)"

I've updated to Windows 10 Version 1709 and VirtualBox 5.2.0 because I got BSOD with Windows 10 Version 1709 and VirtualBox 5.1.26 (SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION in VBoxDrv)

All works fine a week ago with Windows 10 Version 1703 and VirtualBox 5.1.26
I'm using VirtualBox for several years and had never problems with it.

I've checked Hyper-V (as described in Ticket #14362) after the Windows Update and Hyper-V is not installed.
No changes in BIOS, but I've checked the actived AMD-V.

Full message: AMD-V is not available (VERR_SVM_NO_SVM).
Fehlercode:E_FAIL (0x80004005) Komponente:ConsoleWrap Interface:IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VERR_SVM_NO_SVM with Windows 10 Version 1709

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

Hyper-v is not the only possible other user of VT-x/AMD-v. You may want to read: FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
BoxxedTC

Post by BoxxedTC »

As I wrote before: I'm using VirtualBox and several affected guest OS since several months.
In my BIOS, AMD-V (option "SVM" in the BIOS menu) is on and no Windows Hyper-V components are installed - if this would be different I couldn't have run the guest OS in the past.
I assume there is a compatibility problem with Windows 10 Version 1709 and VirtualBox.
The log file says that the host CPU does not support HW virtualization, but that is NOT true!

Excuse me, but I've posted the problem also to the bug tracking team, but they said it is a configuration problem - how can this be a configuration problem if it was running in the past and I only updated the software? (independently from the fact, that I checked the configuration several times)
I'm a software engineer for about 20 years with Hyper-V and VMware knowledge for almost 10 years, so I'm a little confused about that :? :wink:
Attachments
VBox.log
(27.13 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17191

Actually the message you were given is a canned message that was telling you that you should post here and go though the process of making sure the ticket was really a bug, which is what the bugtracker is for. I agree that updating your host is what probably caused this issue and in the respect it is very doubtful that you have a VirtualBox bug. So the fine folks here in the Windows as host section ( of which I am not one ) will try to assist you with figuring out what it might be.
BoxxedTC

Post by BoxxedTC »

Thanks a lot, I appreciate that.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

There is nothing in Version 1709 which will prevent you from running VirtualBox and 64-bit guests. My vms are running quite happily on version 5.2.0 as they did on version 5.1.26, .28 and .30 on the pre-release Insider versions of Windows 10.

Hyper-V is the most likely cause, because the hypervisor locks hardware virtualization to itself at boot time, but there are lots of other things which can cause this problem. If you are running Windows 10 Enterprise there are a number of security features (such as device guard) which now use hardware virtualization. There are also lots of application programs, especially antivirus and antimalware programs.

If it is enabled in the BIOS and the Hyper-V hypervisor is not loading, you will need to work out what else is preventing VirtualBox from accessing hardware virtualization.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The FAQ I linked you to still applies, please read it very carefully and with an open mind.

The FAQ could have been called "why is VT-x/AMD-v not working?", but nobody would have clicked on that, so now the FAQ name reflects how most people first encounter the problem. But in your case I'm guessing that a Windows Update enabled Hyper-v or device/credential guard.
larbakium

Post by larbakium »

Hi,
I am having the same problem as the poster and I haven't been able to resolve. I read the link posted by mpack about the potential reasons why this is happening, and I went through the...
Hyper-v - Disabled
Virtualisation at the BIOS - Enabled
Other applications using Virtualisation - Dont know

Is there a way to find what other applications can be leveraging from the Virtualisation?

Thank you
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

If it was as easy as that the FAQ would be very short. More and more things are using hardware virtualization as developers realize its potential.

If it is not one of the common cases, you just have to slog through testing things one at a time.
Bill
THarnvi

Post by THarnvi »

I manged to solve this with help from an old post on another forum.

----------------------------------
Disable Device Guard or Credential Guard:
Disable the group policy setting that was used to enable Credential Guard.
On the host operating system, click Start > Run, type gpedit.msc, and click Ok. The Local group Policy Editor opens.
Go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Guard > Turn on Virtualization Based Security.
Select Disabled.
Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > Turn Windows features on or off to turn off Hyper-V.
Select Do not restart.
Delete the related EFI variables by launching a command prompt on the host machine using an Administrator account and run these commands:
Run Bat-file with commands below as admin:

Disable_DG-CD.bat

Code: Select all

mountvol X: /s
copy %WINDIR%\System32\SecConfig.efi X:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\SecConfig.efi /Y
bcdedit /create {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} /d "DebugTool" /application osloader
bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} path "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\SecConfig.efi"
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} bootsequence {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215}
bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} loadoptions DISABLE-LSA-ISO,DISABLE-VBS
bcdedit /set {0cb3b571-2f2e-4343-a879-d86a476d7215} device partition=X:
mountvol X: /d
Note: Ensure X is an unused drive, else change to another drive.
Restart the host.
Accept the prompt on the boot screen to disable Device Guard or Credential Guard.

I had to run the bat file twice with a restart in between then my virtual machines started. Check you virtual machines setting. If you try to start a 64-bit machine with Disable Device Guard/Credential Guard running VirtualBox downgrades the setting to 32-bit. Once you re-configured the machine is good to go again.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

THarnvi wrote:I manged to solve this with help from an old post on another forum.
Though not spelled out in such detail (this site doesn't teach you to use Windows), all of those points are mentioned in the FAQ referenced in the first reply.
OracleAV1

Post by OracleAV1 »

[quote="THarnvi"]I manged to solve this with help from an old post on another forum.[quote]
I had enabled the Hyper-V to use Windows XP ...after I started to use VirtualBox...I had the same message "VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX)" every time VirtualBox was started and frequently even the sad :{ blue screen.

This part worked fine with Windows 10... VirtualBox is running fine now.
Assured the Bios Virtualization options are enabled.
Disable Device Guard or Credential Guard:
Disable the group policy setting that was used to enable Credential Guard.
On the host operating system, click Start > Run, type gpedit.msc, and click Ok. The Local group Policy Editor opens.
Go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Guard > Turn on Virtualization Based Security.
Select Disabled.
Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > Turn Windows features on or off to turn off Hyper-V.
Select Restart.
I did not had to do the CMD part commented on the post.
After the Restart, the VirtualBox started fine every time.
--------------------------------------------