Windows 10 host: VMMR0.r0 VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE, SUP_IOCTL_LDR_OPEN failed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Matt F

Windows 10 host: VMMR0.r0 VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE, SUP_IOCTL_LDR_OPEN failed

Post by Matt F »

Hi,

This is my first posting. I apologise if the information I'm looking for is already available. I've not been able to find it through searching. I've found some similar threads, such as this one (Can't post URLs: This forum, with topic ID 82689), which has been somewhat helpful, but nothing is getting me any results. VB is latest, 5.1.30 installed as administrator (and uninstalled, and installed again a few times). I have the same version extension pack. My system is Windows 10 64bit on a Lenovo ThinkPad T470s. I'm unable to create a session for any virtual machines when I have VT-x enabled. Strangely, I can get as far as running a Windows 7 32bit VM in safe mode when I disable VT-x in the BIOS. If VT-x is enabled, it quits before it ever starts. VT-d doesn't seem to make any difference, but it has mainly been on. I've attached the VBox.log for this Windows 7 VM. The VBoxHardening.log is too large, and I can't put any of it inline because the forum thinks there are URLs. I have made sure that everything to do with Hyper-V is turned off. Guest settings XML also provided, though probably of minimal use. I've tried a few different adjustments. This is the most reliable which got me running in safe mode without VT-x.

Another strange effect, with or without VT-x, is that if I try to create a new VM (the ones I've been using are copied from another host), I'm only offered 32bit versions of operating systems. I read somewhere that this can be a symptom of the Hyper-V feature being on, but not so in my case. Antivirus software: Yes, there is quite a bit of that. This is a company provided laptop, and much of the policy is administered by IT. It's running Symantec Endpoint Protection version 14, and I can't disable it. I don't know what else to try and would appreciate any advice. Thank you for looking at it.

Matt
Attachments
XP Home - HP Pavilion - Copy.vbox.xml
guest settings
(7.18 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
VBox.log
guest log file
(2.49 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 host: VMMR0.r0 VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE, SUP_IOCTL_LDR_OPEN failed

Post by socratis »

Besides the thread that you tried to link to ( viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82689), take a look at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60039 and ticket https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/10872 for more ideas. Unfortunately, there is no standard way to figure out the exact cause of a hardening error, only general guidelines.

Plus you didn't include the VBoxHardening.log. ZIPPED. Oh, and don't forget to read the two following FAQs: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues and I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Matt F

Re: Windows 10 host: VMMR0.r0 VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE, SUP_IOCTL_LDR_OPEN failed

Post by Matt F »

Thanks for the reply. It was late and it never occurred to me to zip the hardening log file. Here it is. I'll examine the other threads you've pointed me to.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(17.67 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Your hardening log exits with a zero error code, so I'm not quite sure what's going on. You seem to have Symantec installed. Can you add an exception for the VirtualBox directory, plus all the VirtualBox drivers? If not could you completely uninstall Symantec? See if that helps...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Since the threat detection settings are managed by group policy, I'll need to get the IT organisation to help with changing the settings, if they are willing to do so. I suspect that this probably is an issue with the endpoint protection.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

One "idea" that seems to be gaining in popularity, but I'm still a little bit hesitant on suggesting, is from this thread. I'm not sure if you have enough privileges to change the startup order of the "VBoxDrv.sys", but you could try...

Please, if you can change the boot priority, post your experience in that thread...