Problem opening Windows XP - Error:

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
KissyAsh

Problem opening Windows XP - Error:

Post by KissyAsh »

Hi
I am a complete numbskull with computers, have used Windows XP on Windows 8.1 for ages, recently it has slowed down ( I am on older 4.2 version - reluctant to upgrade, don't want to lose XP or the PC game I use it for). An error message now prevents me opening -
Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}

Also I am advised to post VBox.log - have saved it to 8.1 but don't know how to get it across to this post!!!

Anybody sympathetic to my problem and can explain in very simple terms what I need to do please? Also how to speed up opening of Windows XP - have tried altering various speeds available without success.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem opening Windows XP - Error:

Post by socratis »

KissyAsh wrote:I am a complete numbskull with computers
That's funny... You started your other comment, four years ago, with the exact same words... :D

As far as your error, is that the only thing that you're getting? Isn't there anything more to that, like a reference to "VBoxHardening.log"? It should be right next to the directory that you found your "VBox.log".

First of all, you got to ZIP your log files, it helps save a couple of virtual trees. Then take a look at the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
KissyAsh

Post by KissyAsh »

Hi
many thanks for the reply - same opening shows I haven't learnt much doesn't it since first posting (not quite true -but not sufficient to understand resolving this problem).
Can't see any ref to Vbox hardening log - only Vbox.1log, Vbox.2log and Vbox.3 log.

Bizarre thing is it has opened up once since my posting without a problem but is now back to refusing to.

Appreciate any help please.
Attachments
xp-2017-10-20-20-25-16.zip
(35.11 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
xp-2017-10-20-20-22-56.zip
(35.57 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

KissyAsh wrote:I am on older 4.2 version - reluctant to upgrade, don't want to lose XP or the PC game I use it for
00:00:05.193106 !! Guru Meditation -2708 (VERR_VMM_SET_JMP_ABORTED_RESUME)
Unfortunately, all the references that I found about this error point to ticket #15439, which was fixed with version 5.0.24. It doesn't really match your setup, but it's a really uncommon error...

So, unless someone else comes with a better explanation/solution, your best bet would be to upgrade. You can always back up your setup if it doesn't work, but I highly doubt that it won't.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
KissyAsh

Post by KissyAsh »

Thanks for your advice - problem with upgrading to latest version is that I don't have access to Windows XP to reinstall if I lose it - if it goes then whole exercise is pointless as the PC game I use won't operate on any later Windows versions.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:You can always back up your setup if it doesn't work, but I highly doubt that it won't.
KissyAsh

Post by KissyAsh »

Again thanks for the advice - thicko question no 3 or 4 coming (!) -p do I back up set up only for Oracle VM virtual box or whole laptop - also if for Oracle only do I do it via desktop into a zipped folder then into usb or cd rom - cannot see any way of doing it once VM is open. Really appreciate your time and trouble.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please see the FAQ "Moving a VM" and interpret it as "Backing up a VM". Basically you'll need to copy the "VirtualBox VMs" folder to an external HD or a DVD (if they fit). But as I said, I don't recall an upgrade ever going bad...