[Fixed] Bridged networking 5.2.0 issues (#17186)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gianluigi.zanettini

Re: Bridged networking 5.2.0 issues (#17186)

Post by gianluigi.zanettini »

I wrote my own topic here before and then I saw this topic. Please merge it here! Meanwhile, here we go:

>> What's your host version? Full and complete details please."Win10" isn't enough, "Win10 1607, build 14393.969" is much better.

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709, build SO 16299.19, fully up-to-date).

>> What's your guest version? Full and complete details please. "Ubuntu" isn't enough, "Ubuntu 16.04, 4.4.0-59-generic #80-Ubuntu SMP" is much better.

Multiple guest OS: WinXP x86, Win7 x64, Win10 x64, Ubuntu 17.04 (now 17.10: same problem)

>> What's your VirtualBox version? Full and complete details please. "The latest" is not enough, "VirtualBox 5.2.0 r118431 (Qt5.6.3)" is much better.

VirtualBox 5.2.0 r118431 (that's 5.2 RTM)

>> What method are you using to connect? Wired or wireless (WiFi)? Can you try with both?

Wireless. Sorry, wired is out of reach (desktop PC)

>> Did this setup used to work previously? Does it work if you downgrade your VirtualBox? To which version?

It worked like a charm with 5.1.2x. Will try to downgrade right away and update my post in a bit.

>> Do you have any 3rd party apps installed? Firewalls, antivirus, protection suites, monitoring, throttling, or any low level programs installed? List them.

I have Kaspersky Free antivirus, but I closed it completely. I also tried to disabled Windows Defender Firewall but nothing changed.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Gianluigi, there was no point in merging your post, I simply killed it ;)

Have you seen the post just before yours? It talks about the test builds (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds), and build 118475 (or more recent). I tested it and it fixed the problem. Could you give it a try?

And the same goes for everyone that has subscribed to this thread. I'll edit the first post to reflect the situation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gianluigi.zanettini

Post by gianluigi.zanettini »

Thanks socratis!

I've just installed 5.2.1 development revision 118475 and YES, it fixes the issue!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thanks for the report. I'll wait for some more verification posts before I mark this as solved.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sandson

VirtualBox with problems in last update

Post by Sandson »

Good evening,

I do not know if it happened to me alone, but I installed the latest version of VirtualBox, the 5.2 and had problems with the network card in brigde mode.
My machines only worked in nat mode.
Anyone with this same problem?
I had to install the previous version for the problem back to normal because I could not solve this problem.

The new interface is very beautiful and light. Liked it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: VirtualBox with problems in last update

Post by socratis »

Sandson wrote:Anyone with this same problem?
Plenty, which is why I'm merging your post. Be sure to read the first post in the thread.
BTW, I didn't even understand why you posted in the "Beta" section of the forums...
Sandson

Re: VirtualBox with problems in last update

Post by Sandson »

Sorry, I joined the forum today, getting used to the threads yet.
Last edited by socratis on 24. Oct 2017, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No problem, that's what moderators are for... ;)
But you didn't answer the most basic question; does it work with 5.2.1 r118475 from the test builds area, Development Snapshots (at the bottom of the page)?
Sandson

Post by Sandson »

I just got to work, I downloaded the version and it worked perfectly.
I thought this version is more elegant and lighter.
That's right?
Last edited by socratis on 24. Oct 2017, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback.
carolus
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: debian

Post by carolus »

Host: Win7-64bit (without hardware acceleration)
Guest: debian 9 32-bit
vbox: 5.1.18 and 5.1.20
Network: wireless
Previously working: Virtualbox 5.1.8r111374, debian 8 32-bit
Other Programs: Windows Defender
Comment: debian 8 live iso works with bridged networking in vbox 5.1.18, debian 9 installed does not
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

carolus wrote:vbox: 5.1.18 and 5.1.20
Comment: debian 8 live iso works with bridged networking in vbox 5.1.18, debian 9 installed does not
Carolus, I'm sorry, but did you actually read the thread? From the beginning? If not, please do it. Your problem sounds like *nothing* to do with this thread. This is not a generic "I have a wireless bridging problem" thread.
ci4ic4
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, OpenSolaris

Post by ci4ic4 »

I can confirm that VirtualBox-5.2.1-118475-Win.exe works fine for me now.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Fixed] Bridged networking 5.2.0 issues (#17186)

Post by socratis »

Thank you @ci4ic4 for the confirmation.

The ticket has already been marked as "Fixed in SVN". So is this thread. Please leave a comment if 5.2.1. rev > 118475 doesn't work for you.

Thank you all for providing the information that got this resolved so quickly.
MasterAnt

Re: [Fixed?] Bridged networking 5.2.0 issues (#17186)

Post by MasterAnt »

I just had to create an Oracle account to post this, as I don't see this as being resolved.

I believe I had the same problem as those described above:
Firstly, applying Windows 10 Fall Creators Update caused my VPCs to fail immediately upon starting. (Virtualbox 5.1.18)
Updating to 5.2.0 resolved the startup issue but then caused odd networking behaviour.
I could access my local network and DNS server on my router, but internet traffic just dies.

Following the advice on this topic, I tried 5.1.30 and eventually 5.2.1. All the 5.1's fail to start the VM including the latest dev version.
The 5.2's all (both) start the VM, but both exhibit the described network behaviour.

HOWEVER, after 2 hours I managed to resolve it for myself by replacing
the "VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver" on the host's Ethernet adapter with an older version (I used the one that came with 5.1.18).

1. Install old software. Copy out "c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\network\netlwf"
2. Install new software.
3. Uninstall NDIS6 driver from host's network-properties screen.
3. Install new driver (service) from copied netlwf folder.

Works 100% for me. Hope it helps someone else until this is fixed completely.