[Solved] VM Machine with warning "Critical Error occurred"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
GMM

[Solved] VM Machine with warning "Critical Error occurred"

Post by GMM »

I upgraded to v5.2.0 and receive the following error message and then it freezes.
Host is Windows 7 x64 PC.
Running a Windows XP VM w/SP2 and it worked previously.
A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the
machine execution has been stopped.
I checked the Hardening log and it shows no error message. The last line reads:
Quitting: ExitCode=0x0 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 554195 ms, the end);
1aa8.19d0: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x0 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 555039 ms, the end);
I can upload the VBox.log file if that would help.
Any ideas on what to try?
Last edited by socratis on 29. Oct 2017, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VM Machine with warning "Critical Error occurred"

Post by socratis »

GMM wrote:Quitting: ExitCode=0x0
As explained in the Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues post, an ExitCode of zero (0) means that there was no hardening problem involved, but rather that something else is going on.
GMM wrote:Running a Windows XP VM w/SP2 and it worked previously.
Well, then you got to ask yourself what changed between previously and now. There are a couple of things that I can think of, both involving VT-x and its unavailability. 1) Hyper-V, or 2) something using VT-x exclusively that got updated, like an antivirus.

Take a look at another post, I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Please go thoroughly through that and get some potential ideas on what might be "stealing" exclusively your VT-x. You might have an option in your antivirus to disable "hardware assisted" scanning.

If that does not work, start the VM (don't resume, clean start), observe the error, close the VM (shut it down, or abort it). Right-click in the VM in VirtualBox Manager, Show Log. Save the first only VBox.log, ZIP it and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
GMM

Post by GMM »

I was able to load the VM in SAFE MODE but still unable to load normally.
Not sure what significance that is, but I will review your recommended posts when I return from a business trip in ten days.
By the way, I have never investigated the VT-x/AMD-v in the host PC BIOS issue so hoping that helps, but since I've not changed PC's since VM worked, not sure why the BIOS would have changed.
In any case, I will go through each of the steps in the links and post my results on my return.
Thanks for the response and links.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

GMM wrote: was able to load the VM in SAFE MODE but still unable to load normally. Not sure what significance that is
It's yet another sign that VT-x is not available when your host is running. Something is grabbing VT-x, and you need to dig a little deeper to find out which program that is.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
GMM

Post by GMM »

I am attaching the ZIP log file which was created on a clean start of the VM along with a screen shot showing the error message.
I also tried to determine if a program is grabing the VT-x but could not locate the service. Does anyone know how to find which program is affecting VT-x?
Attachments
Error Message Screen Shot.zip
Screen shot of error message
(39.34 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
VBox 10-27-2017.zip
Log file created with clean start.
(55.15 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You don't need to attach a screenshot of the error message if you can simply describe it. And certainly not in a PDF, ZIPPED format. Just a PNG inline would do. But kudos for actually cropping it to the region of interest.
00:00:04.950302 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
There you go. Official confirmation...
00:00:41.612828 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation -2301 (VERR_REM_VIRTUAL_CPU_ERROR)
Just do a quick search for "VERR_REM_VIRTUAL_CPU_ERROR" and you'll see that the unavailability of VT-x is indeed your problem...
GMM wrote:Does anyone know how to find which program is affecting VT-x?
Nope. That's the problem. I told you where to get some "ideas" and general guidance. But unless I'm sitting in front of your computer and going through each and everyone of your installed programs, no, I can't.
GMM

Post by GMM »

Solved - I made the change to the BIOS setting and "Enabled" the vt option. Completely turned off the PC and after the reboot, it seems to be working.
Thanks to all who guided me through the steps and pointed me in the right direction.

PS To socratis - Next time I will place screen shots in line as a PNG. :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved]. And your pictures will look prettier next time... ;)