Linux guest hang at login after Win 10 Fall Creators Update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
sgabe

Linux guest hang at login after Win 10 Fall Creators Update

Post by sgabe »

After the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (Oct 17), my Ubuntu and Mint Linux guests hang at a black/blank screen after entering the login password.

I've experimented a bit, and on a fresh install of the guest this starts happening after Guest Additions are installed. The VM will work without the additions, of course, but performance is terrible.

Note that this is Virtualbox 5.1.30, but the same thing was happening with the previous version I was running (5.1.26).
c4s

Re: Linux guest hang at login after Win 10 Fall Creators Update

Post by c4s »

Same here. As soon as I had installed the Creators Update, my Linux Mint 17 Guest went black after Login. I have noticed that this doesn't mean the Guest is not working. Preview in VirtualBox GUI works and I was able to klick on the guest's Menu Bar Start Button and navigate to the Shutdown Option with the Cursor keys. Also this only happens on my HDMI connected Samsung Monitor being fed by my 3D NVidia Card and not on my Notebook's local Monitor. Haven't tried to deinstall Guest Additions, but disabling 3D acceleration in my guest's configuration solves the Problem. Which is no solution, obviously. Have updates to 5.1.30 as well while I was on 5.1.26 before. Have not tried 5.2 yet.

I was considering updating my Nvidia Drivers before I fall back to a pre-Fall-Update Installation. Being Aware that I am not the only one affected, I might however wait for a few days for a possible solution in VirtualBox itself...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Don't hold your breath just yet...
First of all, Microsoft should start re-labeling their updates, because they're anything but an update, it's an upgrade. A major one if you ask me, where they re-install the OS and they migrate users and applications (as much as they can) from the old version to the new one. That breaks all sorts of things, especially with programs that are doing low level operations, like VirtualBox.

So, in every major Win10 upgrade, you'll have to 1) install the greatest and latest available at the moment VirtualBox, and 2) if there are any problems, you'll have to wait until the next VirtualBox revision addresses them.

Oh, and you should definitely update the GAs in your guests if you're upgrading VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sgabe

Post by sgabe »

c4s wrote: I was considering updating my Nvidia Drivers before I fall back to a pre-Fall-Update Installation. Being Aware that I am not the only one affected, I might however wait for a few days for a possible solution in VirtualBox itself...
I updated to the latest Nvidia drivers today and it made no difference. For the record, my monitors are hooked up through DisplayPort, not HDMI.

I decided to live with lousy VM performance rather than roll back the Windows up(grade). Hopefully this problem is addressed eventually.
hyperdrv
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, Win7, Ubuntu

Post by hyperdrv »

I had the exact same problem with my VirtualBox and my Windows Guests. Updating to the latest NVIDIA driver (388.00) fixed this problem for me.
AdrianB1

Post by AdrianB1 »

I had the same with a Windows 10 machine; it is not a Linux guest, but the cause and effects seem to be the same: Fall Creators Update, Display Port connected monitors, nVidia driver.

Short term fix: I have disabled the 3D acceleration for the VM. It worked in the past with 3D enabled, it stopped working with FCU, now it works fine with it disabled. Long term fix, I will install the nVidia 388 driver to see if it makes a difference.
ForeverToday
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS-DOS 6.22, Windows XP

Post by ForeverToday »

Hello,

After upgrading to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, I'm facing the same problem with a couple of Windows guests (Vista and 10).
Looks like only the video output freezes, while the rest of the machine runs normally. If I try to pause the machine or call the shutdown menu, it shows me the last video frame greyed out (the desktop in my case). If I resume the machine, the greyed out frame remains until I pause the machine again.

Tried this with VirtualBox versions 5.1.30 and 5.2.0 (currently installed). Disabling 3D acceleration makes it work like the others said. I also updated the guest additions without any success, when I re-enable 3D acceleration the problem returns.
My video card is an old NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GS, and I'm using the latest driver that supports it, version 342.01 WHQL. Before the upgrade of Windows 10 everything was working perfectly.

I'm uploading the latest logs of the Win10 machine, maybe it can help identify the problem. I see a lot of references to gdi32.dll and opengl32.dll in the VBoxHardening.log, plus some errors regarding nvwgf2umx.dll (probably related to the video driver), but I have no clue about their meaning.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(66.39 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
sgabe

Post by sgabe »

I tried the Nvidia 388.00 drivers. Didn't fix the problem for me.
c4s

Post by c4s »

I don't recall which version I updated to, but I tried with the latest NVidia drivers, too. Didn't change a thing.

I restored a pre-Creators-Update snapshot of my W10 host - works for me...
neilpzz

Post by neilpzz »

I posted the same on the MS help forum after I had updated to the Fall Creators update.

I have an older NVidia GT220 and the drivers have not been updated by Nvidia since Dec 2016. I'm wondering if this is what MS term as the life of the device and as the manufacturer stops supporting drivers for older hardware then certain functions will no longer be supported. (and eventually may stop altogether)
I'm considering a newer video card to replace the one I have to see if drivers written to support the Fall Creators update then bring back support for the missing 3D function.

I run a Windows 10 Insider Preview on VirtualBox and that has also lost the 3D Acceleration setting.
SubElement

Post by SubElement »

Same happening to me on the Fall Creators Update.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? It's driving me nuts not being able to use 3d Acceleration.
c4s

Post by c4s »

I have read several confusing Posts in NVidia Forums. Since I am not at all game-oriented, all those discussions are pretty oversized for me as their main Topic is what game is still working after a new Win10 build and which is not, but the essence of it seems to be that Microsoft tends to replace graphics Card Driver provided files (dlls and stuff) with Default Microsoft file Versions that cause Trouble everytime an update happens. All those Posts instruct you to let the update install, get rid of your machine's Internet Connection to prevent Windows from automatically downloading any Drivers it thinks that might fit, deinstall the old, possibly corrupted NVidida Driver as a whole, reboot and install the NVidia Drivers completely from scratch. I haven't found any Forum post that specifically deals with Virtualbox' 3D acceleration Setting, but I guess I will give it a try, probably next week.
SubElement

Post by SubElement »

I actually tried doing a driver uninstall, driver cleaner, then reinstall and it still does the same thing to me.
Last edited by socratis on 25. Nov 2017, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
SimonGarrett
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP. Ubuntu

Post by SimonGarrett »

Same problem with me. W10 64-bit host, NVIDIA GTX 950 card and tried various NVIDIA drivers including 376.33, 385.69 and 388.13. OK prioer to 1709/FCU with 3D acceleration checked, but since 1709/FCU none of them work with Ubuntu with 3D acceleration. A W10 guest works in 3D with 388.13, but also fails with earlier NVIDIA drivers since 1709/FCU.

Rather a PITA.
neilpzz

Post by neilpzz »

I finally decided to upgrade my GT220 to a GT710 which has allowed me to install the latest drivers 388.13. The 3D Acceleration setting in VirtualBox now works and allows Mint 32bit to run in a virtual machine.