Automatic Updates on Windows 10 Host kills VMs on automatic restart

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
TomD

Automatic Updates on Windows 10 Host kills VMs on automatic restart

Post by TomD »

So I'm running a job overnight in a virtual box VM. I come in this morning eager to get some much anticipated answers just to find that my Windows 10 host (once again) killed my VMs to apply an automatic update and restart my computer. All that data was lost. :o

It would be nice that when this happens that status of the VM is automatically saved.

In the mean time, has anyone found a way to turn this off?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Automatic Updates on Windows 10 Host kills VMs on automatic restart

Post by socratis »

TomD wrote:In the mean time, has anyone found a way to turn this off?
Have you asked (and more importantly complained to) Microsoft? They've created a mess with the whole "I'll update your system, whenever I feel like it, and I'll reboot it whenever I feel like it, and you can't do anything to stop me" attitude. If you do find an answer to that, could you include it here as well?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

And the answer you'd probably get is:

"Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise has all of those control features built in, so that's what you should be using if you need that level of control over updates in a business critical situation".

EDIT: Don't have a copy of Windows 10 Home around to check, but I believe the user controls are very limited, e.g.:

- Set 'Active Time' to prevent automatic restarts during normal working hours;
- (a Workaround) Set the Network/Internet Connection to 'Metered' which prevents updates being downloaded without user approval.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

erdeslawe wrote:"Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise has all of those control features built in, so that's what you should be using if you need that level of control over updates in a business critical situation".
No it doesn't, that's the problem. The only available workarounds are the ones you mentioned. And they suck, both of them. I mean I can understand their need to have their customers patched with the latest and greatest, but, give me the damn option!!!

Ask me, don't act for me!
For your own protection, we're going to screw you. Big time. No questions asked. You can thank me later.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

With Pro or Enterprise you have a lot of control over updates unless you are still on 1607 or earlier. You can defer updates for five days with one click. You can defer quality updates for up to 30 days and you can defer feature updates (ie version upgrades) for up to a year.

I suspect the tough line on updates for Home is the result of problems they have had in the past with a high percentage of unprotected systems.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BillG wrote:unless you are still on 1607 or earlier
You got me... :)
So, that's why I wasn't seeing those options? OK, I'll try to update a test VM and see what they've actually implemented.

Thanks Bill!