Windows 10 control-alt-delete on docking station

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MCarp

Windows 10 control-alt-delete on docking station

Post by MCarp »

Running VirtualBox on Windows 10 laptop with a Ubuntu VM installed.

When my laptop (HP EliteBook) is OFF the docking station, everything seems to work OK. I can close the lid, open it, control-alt-delete to log into Windows, etc.

BUT, when I take my laptop to a meeting, close the lid, walk back to my desk and put my laptop on the docking station, control-alt-delete gets captured by the VM, even if that is not the active program at the time that I closed the lid on the laptop.

The result is that I cannot get to the password screen to unlock Windows and the machine appears frozen, while the control-alt-delete is going to the VM and causes a pop-up that warns me that I'm about to log out of Ubuntu.

Any ideas WHY?

Once I'm in this situation there are only two solutions. 1. Take the laptop off the dock and use it without my extra monitors. 2. Open the lid on the laptop, kill the VM completely (suspend doesn't work), close the lid, then control-alt-delete will take me to the password/unlock screen. Unlocking while the laptop is on the dock with the lid open doesn't help because it goes back to lock when I close the lid so that my monitors will adjust to the correct resolution.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 control-alt-delete on docking station

Post by socratis »

Is the VM running at full screen when you close the lid? I won't even begin to mention the workarounds, there are several like pausing the VM, minimizing the VM window, closing the VM, not closing the lid (just kidding), etc.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MCarp

Post by MCarp »

The VM is not running full screen. It happens even if it is minimized.

Pausing the VM doesn't help. Closing the VM works, but that means I have to restart it just because I docked the unit.

The odd part is that if I close the lid off the dock and then open it again, it works correctly. It is only going to the dock that causes the confusion with the key sequence.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I don't have a dock to replicate the problem or even begin to understand why it works the second time. Let's see if a dock-owning user has anything to add...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

No solutions, as I no longer use a Docking Station, but just a few thoughts.

Via internet searches you can locate various advice notes and warnings on Microsoft's sites about docking/undocking procedures, mostly relating to the use of appropriate Power settings for 'live' changes between mains/battery laptop operation, but also warning against undocking a laptop when it is in either 'Sleep' or 'Hibernation' mode. There are also similar advisory notes and warnings on Ubuntu's site. Again this is linked to Power Settings, i.e. How the laptop is set to react to closing the lid.

Obviously, the Host Windows system in this setup has a chance to detect docking the undocking procedure and can react to any changes to connected external peripherals, but the Guest (Ubuntu) System will have no such opportunity as it has no 'physical' connection other than to the Host, so is, presumably, more likely to trip up if it is suddenly disconnected/reconnected to a different range of hardware and network resources without warning.

To me, the safest mode of operation would be to shut down the Virtual Machine before docking/undocking the laptop to give it the best chance of managing the inevitable connected hardware and network changes.