Virtual Box system settings only see 24G of the 32G on the host computer

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
nplonsk2

Virtual Box system settings only see 24G of the 32G on the host computer

Post by nplonsk2 »

I have the latest version of oracle VM installed with the extension packs on a Windows 10 host machine with 32G of RAM installed. Windows the main operating system sees all 32G but when I go to assign RAM to virutal machine it only lets me go up to 24G the range doesn't extend beyond 24G and it will only let me select up to 21G. I have tried adjusting every setting. I plan on upgrading to 64G of RAM in the next month or so and I would like to make sure that when I do the virtual machine will see all of it. How do I fix this issue?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box system settings only see 24G of the 32G on the host computer

Post by socratis »

Do you mean that the range does not go beyond 24 GB? I didn't think that there was a limit and I double-checked and the limit is close to 1 TB of RAM, if you can afford it.

Could you post a screenshot of the VM RAM settings, and something that shows that the host has indeed 32 GB of RAM. Please do not post your whole desktop, crop it to the area of interest. Also, if you're using a HiDPI setup, please shrink the image by at least 50%.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nplonsk2

Post by nplonsk2 »

I have attached the screen shot and yes I meant I have 32G in the computer and the virtual machine range only goes up to 24. Thank you.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (32.16 KiB) Viewed 821 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1) If *you* can read the number on that screenshot, *I* am buying myself some eyeglasses, at least better than the ones I have ;). JPGs are great for compressing your pictures, horrible for screenshots. Prefer PNGs.

2) Can you post the text output (copy text/paste) of the command:
  • VBoxManage list hostinfo
as well as a picture from your BIOS? The last one, you can actually use JPGs, they work great for pictures ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.