Windows10 virtualbox on Linux

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
georgew15

Windows10 virtualbox on Linux

Post by georgew15 »

I have a windows 10 box running on windows 10 virtualbox 5.1.28

If I copy the vdi file (which is 35GB) to a Ubuntu box , can i run the vdi file on my ubuntu box without any problem? Or do I have to create a separate win10 virtualbox on ubuntu?

Thanks guys
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows10 virtualbox on Linux

Post by socratis »

Don't just copy the virtual HD (the .vdi), copy the whole VM directory which includes the .vbox file, i.e. the "recipe" of the VM. See Moving a VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

georgew15 wrote: If I copy the vdi file (which is 35GB) to a Ubuntu box , can i run the vdi file on my ubuntu box without any problem?
+1 to what Socratis said. To which I'll add that the choice of host OS is not relevant. What may be relevant is a change in host CPU. This will be visible to the Win10 guest and may cause activation problems. Copying a bare VDI would definitely cause activation problems.
georgew15

Post by georgew15 »

socratis wrote:Don't just copy the virtual HD (the .vdi), copy the whole VM directory which includes the .vbox file, i.e. the "recipe" of the VM. See Moving a VM.
mpack wrote:
georgew15 wrote: If I copy the vdi file (which is 35GB) to a Ubuntu box , can i run the vdi file on my ubuntu box without any problem?
+1 to what Socratis said. To which I'll add that the choice of host OS is not relevant. What may be relevant is a change in host CPU. This will be visible to the Win10 guest and may cause activation problems. Copying a bare VDI would definitely cause activation problems.

So I followed this advice and unfortunately the box doesn't load. It just hangs on startup with VirtualBox process eating 100% of CPU. So i guess this would be most likely an activation problem ? Or something else?

BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Definitely not an activation problem.

What is the screenshot supposed to show? Where is the vm you are talking about? None are Windows 10.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Please, do not attach images hosted on 3rd party sites. You can attach them here locally. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.

When the VM is stuck, close the VM's window. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.

Bonus, if you could also get the same VBox.log.zip from the original host...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.