2 different networks for host & guest (with 2 network adaptors)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
llb

2 different networks for host & guest (with 2 network adaptors)

Post by llb »

Hi,

I am running VirtualBox 5.1.24 on Windows 7 (host). My virtual machine is a Debian 9 (guest).
My host computer is equipped with its embedded wifi connector and I added an extra USB wifi connector.

I want to connect to a network1 with my host (through embedded wifi connector), while connecting to a network2 with my guest (through the USB wifi connector).

I tried several combinations of network configuration on VirtualBox but couldn't find the correct setting.

How can I achieve this ?

Thanks for your help ! :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: 2 different networks for host & guest (with 2 network adaptors)

Post by mpack »

See "Bridged Networking" in chapter 6 of the user manual. Note that bridging is not guaranteed to work with WiFi, but that is the only option which has even a chance of working.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Hmm... In this case you wouldn't want to use Bridged networking or any sort of VirtualBox networking at all. In fact you should disable all your network adapters in the VM settings and just rely on the USB WiFi adapter. Here's a summary of the steps that you need to take:
  • Disable all network adapters in the VM settings. You will not be using any VirtualBox related networking for this exercise.
  • Create a USB filter for your USB WiFi adapter. See USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts, but especially section #4: USB Filters. But please read the whole thing, it's a 10' reading, max.
  • Once you've captured the USB WiFi adapter, proceed as you would in a real system, i.e. configure the adapter from within your guest. Your host will be oblivious to the whole guest network setup, and your guest the same about your host. Isolated from each other. Done.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
llb

Post by llb »

Hmmm ... good idea !
I'll try as soon as I'l be back behind my computer.
Thanks
(I'll let you know the result)