How to run Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
NewGuest

How to run Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Post by NewGuest »

I'm trying to run an old game named Heroes of Might and Magic - The Shadows of Death and I have the game CD in the drive and it loads but then say's "Please insert the Heroes of Might and Magic Shadows of Death CD-ROM". In the Settings/Storage I clicked my Host Drive G: and in the right pane checked the Passthrough check box but it didn't help. I still get the same error message. I don't know what else to do to make the game run. Does anyone know how to run that game in a Virtualbox?

I think the game is looking for the copy protection on the CD and not finding it but it's the original CD, not a copy. I don't get it. It runs fine on the HOST computer.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to run Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Post by socratis »

Unfortunately there is no 100% guarantee that the CD will be recognized as being natively accessed, even if Passthrough mode has been enabled. From the user manual, ch. 5.9 CD/DVD support (emphasis mine):
As an experimental feature, for additional capabilities, it is possible to give the guest direct access to the CD/DVD host drive by enabling “passthrough” mode. Depending on the host hardware, this may enable three things to work, potentially:
  • CD/DVD writing from within the guest, if the host DVD drive is a CD/DVD writer;
  • playing audio CDs;
  • playing encrypted DVDs.
Even if pass-through is enabled, unsafe commands, such as updating the drive firmware, will be blocked. Video CD formats are never supported, not even in passthrough mode, and cannot be played from a virtual machine.
So, not everything works in passthrough. It is what it is, I'm afraid...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NewGuest

Post by NewGuest »

@socratis

Thanks for your reply. Well that sucks big time because I only created the Virtualbox so I can play my game because when I upgraded to Windows 10 my game won't run on it either. Hey does anyone know how to run old games on Win10. I am so friggin depressed right now. LOL
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Not sure if this is going to work, but have you tried to create an ISO from the original CD?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NewGuest

Post by NewGuest »

@socratis

Well I could make one but then what do I do with it socratis?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You go to your VM Settings » Storage » select the CD icon on the left-hand side » click the CD icon on the right-hand side » Choose Virtual Optical Disk File. There you can select your ISO. It's actually the fastest, easiest way to install mostly OSes that are distributed in a .iso file format. Which is most of them these days...
NewGuest

Post by NewGuest »

@socratis

Okay I will try to create an ISO with either Imgburn or CloneCD, whichever works on the copy protected CD. Will let you know how things turn out and thanks thus far for your help.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If the CD really is copy protected then using an image of it will certainly not work, as copy protection works by testing for deliberately bad sectors - which the image will not have.