Unable to Start VM Headless

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Zaim

Unable to Start VM Headless

Post by Zaim »

I'm trying to get minikube to start on my Windows 10 laptop, but when it runs the following command:
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" startvm minikube --type headless

It fails with an error of:
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine

I've tried to power on the VM headless from the GUI and get the same error. I get the same error if I try to run headless, either in GUI or CMD, for every VM I've built.

All VM's will start fine normally but minikube needs the VM to start headless.

I've run through the 'Diagnosing Virtualbox Hardening Issues' sticky but I can't uninstall my AV as it's a corporate laptop.

I've tried other earlier versions of VirtualBox and hit the same issues when trying to run headless.

Can someone take a look at the attached log file and give me some pointers please.

AV: Cylance 2.0.1450.8
VirtualBox: Version 5.1.30 r118389 (Qt5.6.2)
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(2.86 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to Start VM Headless

Post by socratis »

Zaim wrote:I can't uninstall my AV as it's a corporate laptop.
357c.2c10:     ProductName:     CylancePROTECT
CylancePROTECT is a known troublemaker for VirtualBox. What users have found is that if you can't uninstall it or update it (like in your case), you can add an exception to CylancePROTECT to *not* scan VirtualBox. Have a look at the thread "[Solved] VirtualBox Vs Cylance Protect".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Zaim

Post by Zaim »

Thanks for confirming that and providing a link. Since Cylance is managed from a remote server I've asked my corporate IT to add VirtualBox to the application whitelist.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

And if you IT people ask why exactly you should whitelist VirtualBox, please refer them to an explanation of the effect that you're seeing, the effect that applications with either not properly signed certificates, or certificates that have not been updated in the Windows central certificate database, have on the proper VirtualBox operation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Zaim

Post by Zaim »

Perfect. I've added that link to my internal ticket and pointed them to this forum post as an initial pointer.