HASP4 hardware key on LPT port doesn't work

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mazziek

HASP4 hardware key on LPT port doesn't work

Post by mazziek »

Hi all.
I use an old software protected with HASP4 hardware key to be installed on LPT port. OS must be Windows 32-bit, bacause newer HASP drivers for 64-bit systems cannot support this old piece of hardware (and an old software for 32-bit systems cannot be installed on 64-bit machine).

To override the problem I use Oracle VM 32-bit Windows XP guest with 64-bit Windows 7 as a host. To use LPT port I set:

VBoxManage modifyvm XP --lptmode1 LPT1
VBoxManage modifyvm XP --lpt1 0x378 7

where:
XP - name of my VM
LPT1 - the number of LPT port on host
0x378 - the address of LPT on the host (0378)
7 - IRQ of the LPT on the host

Then I install 32-bit key software on the guest - and this works.

Last time I had to clone VM to another machine. I imported VM. Then I set above commands (with proper address, IRQ etc. - no error messages). Then installed hardware key software.

VM starts, but the program which uses hardware key says "no hardware key". I tried different things. The problem is I haven't got any device to check if the LPT port is operational, although it is mounted directly on a mainboard (not in a PCIe slot etc.) - so I think it is operational. No other device (like printer) uses this LPT port.

Could anybody help me please? LPT is set as an EPC.

Best regards
Maciej
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: HASP4 hardware key on LPT port doesn't work

Post by mpack »

Export/Import is not how to move a VM. For that see Howto: Move a VM.

I assume that the software involves device drivers? Because that's the only reason 32bit Windows software can't be installed on a 64bit Windows PC. I've got software from the Win95 era that still runs just fine (without help) on Win10-64bit.

What happened to the host OS since this VM last worked? I.e. why the export/import? Did you change host PCs? Did you replace the host OS? Can you post a screenshot of the "Ports" branch of the host device manager, showing that "LPT1" exists?

Have you read the LPTx FAQ? Howto: Enabling and Configuring Parallel (LPTx) Ports.
ligurt

Post by ligurt »

Same problem here, except for I didn't move the machine anywhere. I use the HASP key on a HP docking station. Host is a win 10 machine guest windows 2000. I have the same configuration on a desktop and works great.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 4. Jan 2022, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote of entire first post
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

@ligurt, did you read the whole topic?
mpack wrote:Have you read the LPTx FAQ? Howto: Enabling and Configuring Parallel (LPTx) Ports.
Please start a new topic for your particular situation.