Gues OS boot menu stuck

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MRaufK

Gues OS boot menu stuck

Post by MRaufK »

I have one .VHD file which works fine on Hyper-V, but it does not work with Virtual Box. It stuck at the boot menu.
Attached please find the screen shot and log file.
Attachments
VBox.log
(86.73 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
VM-Bootloader.PNG
VM-Bootloader.PNG (45.6 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Re: Gues OS boot menu stuck

Post by towo2099 »

XP has never liked any hardware change. So what makes you think, using a vhd from hyperv should work easy in vbox?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid we can't tell anything from the recovery screen shown. What we'd need is the BSOD screen which preceded it.

That said, this is most likely going to be an issue with the disk drive (stop 0x7B). XP doesn't like the disk controller changing, because XP never envisaged being imaged and moved to another PC. The trick is to run MergeIDE on the original system before attempting the migration.
MRaufK

Post by MRaufK »

I would like to add more details.

I have followed the below attached post from superuser to make Virtual Machine. It works fine in Hyper-V.

Details of the machines: Dell Optiplex01 have two OSs installed
Windows XP
Windows 10

I need to run the Windows XP in the same Dell Optiplex01 on Windows 10.
I created .VHD after installing Windows 10. So it gives bootloader to select OS while starting the VM. I hope, there will be no issues as there is no hardware change, and it works fine in Hyper-V, but I feel Virtual Box more comfortable.

https://superuser.com/questions/1254432 ... ance-of-xp
Last edited by socratis on 16. Oct 2017, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

In fact this question is a long standing FAQ. Please Google for "P2V site:forums.virtualbox.org".

One final note: any time you move an XP image from one PC to a different one you need to treat it as a migration. The fact that one or both images is from a VM makes absolutely no difference. In particular it is no easier to move an XP image between two different VM platforms then it is to move the image between two different physical PCs, or between a physical PC and a VM.