Compatibility Report

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
napkin

Compatibility Report

Post by napkin »

trying to load windows 10 and I cant seem to get around the compatibility report box. Some help?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Compatibility Report

Post by socratis »

What's the compatibility report and why are you stuck there? I'm not sure I've seen a "compatibility report" in Win10 before. Are you referring perhaps to the check that can be run in previous Windows versions to see if the computer is capable or running Win10 successfully? If yes, do not rely on that alone, unless you're changed the VM settings to reflect a Win10 machine.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
napkin

Post by napkin »

I get the report soon after the wizard asks me for a product key. I have no product key or disk. After it asks for express or advanced settings, I choose express and the compatibility report box comes up. I hope this helps.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You got to be a little bit more detailed on your setup. Are you trying to upgrade an existing VM? If so, as I said, shut it down and modify so that the template reads "Windows 10".

In fact, right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever", ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
napkin

Post by napkin »

I'm not trying to upgrade, only to install Win 10 onto VM.
the whole error(?) reads:
The computer started using the windows installation media Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that window starts normally. Then insert the media and restart the upgrade. (Do not select custom (advanced) to perform upgrade. Custom (advanced) installs a new copy of Windows and deletes you programs and settings.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That is not possible. The error message is not consistent with your description. There is a Windows OS installed on the vm.

The first thing to do is to remove the installation media and try to boot the vm to see what is there.

If you want to do a clean install, boot the vm from the installation media. During the install you will see an option to Upgrade (the default) or Custom (Advanced). Select the Custom option. When it asks where to install the OS, accept the default partition and then select Format before you click next. This will get rid of whatever is on the system drive now before it installs Windows.
Bill