[How to] Setup network between host,virtual and other physical machines ?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Verona

[How to] Setup network between host,virtual and other physical machines ?

Post by Verona »

Hi guys. Maybe the title is a little bit complex, thats why i will try to explain what i have and what i want to get on:

I have:
- Host machine with installed Win 7 OS
- 3 virtual machine with installed Win 7 OS
- 2 physical PC in the same local network with the host machine

I want:
- Connect from host machine to virtual machine via "local network"
- Connect from physical PC to virtual machines via local network
- Virtual machines must have no internet access

If someone knows hot to setup it - it would be great :)

P.s. i have tried to setup in the virtual box network settings - virtual host adapter - but in this case i can't connect to virtual machines from the host by local network.
Looks like i do something wrong
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [How to] Setup network between host,virtual and other physical machines ?

Post by socratis »

If the VMs are on your local network (using Bridged mode) the only thing that can stop them from getting on the internet is a firewall most probably on your router. Other than that, I personally can't think of a way that VirtualBox could provide such functionality.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: [How to] Setup network between host,virtual and other physical machines ?

Post by BillG »

Verona wrote: P.s. i have tried to setup in the virtual box network settings - virtual host adapter - but in this case i can't connect to virtual machines from the host by local network.
Looks like i do something wrong
Yes, you probably did do something wrong, but since you did not tell us what you did, I have no idea what you did wrong.

As socratis said, all you should need to do is configure the vms to use bridged networking.

If your network has a router with a DHCP server, the vms will get their network config from DHCP and work just like your physical machines.
Bill