Cannot Login to Windows 10 VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
strj500

Cannot Login to Windows 10 VM

Post by strj500 »

VirtualBox 5.1.28
Windows 10 Pro

When I boot up the system, it arrives at a normal looking screen appears with time and date, then if I attempt to login (move the time and date in a direction or ctrl-alt-del), a dimmed version of the screen appears, there's no login prompt. I've tried blindly putting the password in, I've tried playing with the on-board keyboard, no success. Eventually it will go back to the date and time screen.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot Login to Windows 10 VM

Post by socratis »

• Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.