[Solved] Blue Screen on Guest Machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
SkyCaptain4052

[Solved] Blue Screen on Guest Machine

Post by SkyCaptain4052 »

Hi,

im Running into some issues virtualizing an old Windows Server 2003
I have this set up running fine on an Acer Windows 8.1 Laptop but i wasnt really comfortable with the solution. I bought a relatively powerful HP workstation with SSD and all that but now I cant seem to get the virtualbox running.

the main issue is the following: on the guest machine, I either have no internet, or I have blue screen of death.
meaning: If i select the Virtualbox network adapter i get through the installation, the Machine starts up fine and runs as expected. If i select the bridged Network adapter, i get a Blue screen on the guest machine.
also: "blue screen stop code 0x000008e"

anyone have experienced this or experience with this, i would be glad for an input!

Thanks in advance SkyCaptain4052
Last edited by socratis on 13. Oct 2017, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Blue Screen on Guest Machine

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
SkyCaptain4052

Post by SkyCaptain4052 »

Ok, will get back to you in about two hours with the log file.

in the mean time, what state should the machine be in for the log file?
Right after the Blue Screen, the machine automatically reboots. Do you want the file right after the crash and before the reboot, or shall i let the machine boot and then turn it off from the login screen (which is as far as i get without BSOD)?

Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Let the event happen, and then make sure to shut down the VM. The activity of the guest OS after the event doesn't matter. All I need to see is VM startup, event, VM shutdown.
SkyCaptain4052

Post by SkyCaptain4052 »

Alright, here we go with the log file(s)
Attachments
Log-Files.zip
(35.32 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The guest OS type should be XP, not Win2K (Win2003 is the server edition of XP).
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:02.106469 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
I would enable VT-x in the host PC BIOS, and then in the VM settings.

Is there something odd about the mouse, either in the guest or host? I see lots of these, which I've never seen before. Did you change any VM mouse settings?
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:26.551481 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={ee35adb0-4748-3e12-e7fd-5aad957bba0f} aComponent={MouseWrap} aText={Could not send the mouse event to the virtual mouse (VERR_PDM_NO_QUEUE_ITEMS)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:00:26.567423 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={ee35adb0-4748-3e12-e7fd-5aad957bba0f} aComponent={MouseWrap} aText={Could not send the mouse event to the virtual mouse (VERR_PDM_NO_QUEUE_ITEMS)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:00:26.597423 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={ee35adb0-4748-3e12-e7fd-5aad957bba0f} aComponent={MouseWrap} aText={Could not send the mouse event to the virtual mouse (VERR_PDM_NO_QUEUE_ITEMS)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:00:26.605417 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={ee35adb0-4748-3e12-e7fd-5aad957bba0f} aComponent={MouseWrap} aText={Could not send the mouse event to the virtual mouse (VERR_PDM_NO_QUEUE_ITEMS)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:00:26.621424 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={ee35adb0-4748-3e12-e7fd-5aad957bba0f} aComponent={MouseWrap} aText={Could not send the mouse event to the virtual mouse (VERR_PDM_NO_QUEUE_ITEMS)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:00:26.637417 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={ee35adb0-4748-3e12-e7fd-5aad957bba0f} aComponent={MouseWrap} aText={Could not send the mouse event to the virtual mouse (VERR_PDM_NO_QUEUE_ITEMS)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
I'm also seeing PATM write errors. This could be interference from another virtualizer. Make sure Hyper-v is disabled on the host, then reboot the host. Also check the status of VT-x in the host BIOS as already mentioned. It should be enabled.

You'd get better performance if you installed the guest with >1 vCPU. Again this requires VT-x.
SkyCaptain4052

Post by SkyCaptain4052 »

Thanks a lot for your quick replies!

i will, when i get home follow your instructions, specially the VT-x thing. Not sure where exactly to do this on the guest machine but ill find that.

I did not change any settings for the mouse, maybe it has to do with the fact that its a really really cheap usb-bluetooth mouse/keyboard combination but im only using the mouse and have a separate keyboard attached. (really dont like the keyboard that came in the combo)

Hyper-v is disabled in the Windows features thing in the system settings, right? but yeah, ill find it.

Thanks a lot again, and ill report back with tales of success ;)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

SkyCaptain4052 wrote:specially the VT-x thing. Not sure where exactly to do this on the guest machine but ill find that.
Please pay attention to what mpack said:
mpack wrote:I would enable VT-x in the host PC BIOS, and then in the VM settings.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SkyCaptain4052

Post by SkyCaptain4052 »

ouch, sassy...

and as I said in the same sentence:
SkyCaptain4052 wrote:but ill find that
so i dont really see why you felt the need to get involved here.

but thank you anyway for your suggestion, always appreciated.
Last edited by socratis on 12. Oct 2017, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SkyCaptain4052 wrote:so i don't really see why you felt the need to get involved here.
To save you (and in extension us) more "pain" ;)
You were going in the wrong direction, I thought that steering you gently to the correct direction was the best course of action.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Re the mouse, since it's a USB mouse you should make sure that you are NOT grabbing ownership of the mouse in the VM settings. The host needs to own the mouse, otherwise it cannot be shared with VMs.
SkyCaptain4052

Post by SkyCaptain4052 »

Alright, all seems to be working perfectly again.

it is weird cause i checked the laptop settings where the guest machine was running before and it was set to Windows 2003.

But anyways, thanks a lot for all the help, i dont know if i can mark this as solved or if one of you guys has to do this.

ps: totally of subject, i dont suppose anyone of you two mods, mpack and socratis have experience in virtualizing a HASP HL USB dongle?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

SkyCaptain4052 wrote:ps: totally of subject, i dont suppose anyone of you two mods, mpack and socratis have experience in virtualizing a HASP HL USB dongle?
Sorry, that is too far off topic. Please create a new discussion.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Blue Screen on Guest Machine

Post by socratis »

SkyCaptain4052 wrote:I don't know if i can mark this as solved or if one of you guys has to do this.
I marked it as [Solved]. For future reference you can edit your first post and add a "[Solved]" in the beginning of the title.