Virtual memory on VB Host and Client machine hosted on SSD.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
TDIT

Virtual memory on VB Host and Client machine hosted on SSD.

Post by TDIT »

Hi all,

I've searched for this thread or one like it, but the answers seem to relate more to Linux Hosts then Windows machines.

Here's my approx setup:
Host: Windows machine i3, 500gb samsung ssd, 16gb ram - running Windows 7 64bit. 24gb swap file.
Clients: Windows 7 64bit. Both 100gb vdi drive allocations. Allocated 2cpu and 2gb ram. 3gb swap file.

Questions:
1) Are swap files needed or 'a good idea' on the client machines? Or does the extra drive chatter degrade performance, or (as I suspect) does it make little performance difference were ssd's are involved?
2) Is disabling the swap files on Windows 7 machines likely to degrade the client performance?

I'm just after a suggested best practice model to follow here. Not trying to re-invent the wheel, just trying to save r&d time I don't have.

Many thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual memory on VB Host and Client machine hosted on SSD.

Post by socratis »

The best practice model is to not try to outsmart the operating system, be it host or guest. You'll gain absolutely nothing by disabling the swap file, on the contrary you might run into some really serious problems. I'll point you to an article called "What Is the Windows Page File, and Should You Disable It?" for further reading. Just a small excerpt:
Some people will tell you that you should disable the page file to speed up your computer. The thinking goes like this: the page file is slower than RAM, and if you have enough RAM, Windows will use the page file when it should be using RAM, slowing down your computer.

This isn’t really true. People have tested this theory and found that, while Windows can run without a page file if you have a large amount of RAM, there’s no performance benefit to disabling the page file.

However, disabling the page file can result in some bad things...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TDIT

Re: Virtual memory on VB Host and Client machine hosted on SSD.

Post by TDIT »

Thanks Socratis. That makes perfect sense and you've confirmed my approach is in line with best practice. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't shooting myself in the foot :). Thanks for the quick response also, very much appreciated.