Lower resolution on linux guest than on the windows host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ohnoplus
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Lower resolution on linux guest than on the windows host

Post by ohnoplus »

Host: Lenovo thinkpad T470s running windows 10.
VirtualBox: Version 5.1.28 r117968 (Qt5.6.2)
Guest: Xubuntu Linux 16.04 with guest additions installed using the guest additions cd image.

On my linux guest the screen resolution looks substantially lower in resolution than on my host display. You can see pixels, in the text and icons and similar. On the host, everything looks nice and high resolution. I've set 3d video acceleration on and off, with the same general effect. Screen scale factor is set at 100%. I have a screenshot of my guest running in a window on my host. If your screen resolution is good enough and you zoom in some you can maybe see the difference. Any suggestions?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Lower resolution on linux guest than on the windows host

Post by mpack »

Sounds like you have scale mode enabled. See user manual section 1.8.5.
ohnoplus

Post by ohnoplus »

Thats a great guess @mpack. I should have clarified that, in this case though, scale mode is off. I can make things look worse by turning it on. Auto-resizing is on though. Picking other screen resolutions manually also doesn't seem to help. The problem also persists if I try to run in seamless mode.

One additional bit of information. I only have this problem when I run the laptop as a laptop. I also have a docking station, which, when I connect my computer to a docking station and look at the virtual machine with a regular monitor everything looks fine. A few other odities:

1) The icons in the virtualbox manager (even when the virtualbox is off) also appear to be somewhat grainy on the laptop screen (but not the host).
2) The icons and text both within the virtualbox, as well as the virtualbox manager look a lot smaller when I connect to the docking station, than they do on the host.

Any other ideas?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Any chance of including a screenshot of what you mean exactly? I do not need your full 2880x1800 screen, just a small corner where the problem can be seen.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ohnoplus

Post by ohnoplus »

Pardon the delay. Here's what things look like on my regular monitor:
External monitor with better resolution
External monitor with better resolution
ExternalMonitorVbox2.PNG (5.82 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
And here is how they look on my laptop monitor:
LaptopMonitorVbox2.PNG
LaptopMonitorVbox2.PNG (7.97 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
I realize its hard to do an apples to apples comparison because the icons are a lot smaller on the External monitor, but thats what I would prefer, small and sharp icons, even on the laptop screen, as seen below for the windows host:
WindowsLaptop.PNG
WindowsLaptop.PNG (5.34 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Any chance that you have a HiDPI display?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ohnoplus

Post by ohnoplus »

Good question @socratis. This is a lenovo T470s. They don't call it HiDPI; rather they call it WQHD display. Perhaps it is the same thing?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

2560x1440 ?
Bill
ohnoplus

Post by ohnoplus »

Windows seems to think it is 1920x1080 when I open "change my screen resolution" from the start menu.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So does mine (1920x1200 to be exact), but it's actually sitting on a 2880x1800 MacBookPro retina (HiDPI). So check your host's settings. Oh, and check the HiDPI option in the VM settings, Display.
ohnoplus

Post by ohnoplus »

Thanks! I can't seem to figure out how to do either of those things. I realize monkeying with host screen resolution is outside of the purvey of this forum, but here's what I see when I try to change the host resolution. I don't see any options for going to a higher resolution.
WindowsResolution.PNG
WindowsResolution.PNG (33.03 KiB) Viewed 3364 times

Also I don't seem to have any trouble viewing things on the host display in the first place.

Under VM settings, display, I see this window. I don't see any options relating to HiDPI. Am I missing something?
WindowsResolution.PNG
WindowsResolution.PNG (33.03 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
Thanks for bearing with me on this.
Attachments
SettingsDisplay.PNG
SettingsDisplay.PNG (35.16 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid I can't help you with your Windows host/guest HiDPI settings as I only have a Mac and they work differently. But I would also look at Lenovo's support sites for related info.