Connecting Amazing Box embroidery converter

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
nco31

Connecting Amazing Box embroidery converter

Post by nco31 »

Running XP 32-bit on Win 10 host, trying to get the converter box for my embroidery machine to work.

It is called the Mini Amazing Box made by Great Notions, and it is no longer produced or supported. I have the CD and installed the box driver, it shows up in XP as connected to USB location 0. When I try to run the software it says it cannot access the converter box.

In the software itself, even though it is a USB connected accessory, the software refers to COM ports for the connection, gives me the option of selecting COM 1-6 or First Available.

I am at a loss as to how to get this to work.
nco31

Re: Connecting Amazing Box embroidery converter

Post by nco31 »

Not sure if its relevant but when the VM is shut down the conversion box location on the host is Port_#0002.Hub_#0003
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If you go to https://amazingdesigns.com/faqs/previous-amazing-boxes is the one that you have the one that says "Windows XP Mini Amazing Box software and hardware update"?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nco31

Post by nco31 »

Yes, unfortunately I tried that as well

I feel like I am so close, like xp recognizes and installs the device with no problem but I just don't know how to tell the software where to find it.

I'm seriously considering buying an old XP boat anchor just for use with this program.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

nco31 wrote:Yes, unfortunately I tried that as well
It's not a matter of "I tried that as well". It's akin to telling me that you had a flat tire and you start randomly trying out tires, it won't work. I asked you *really* specifically if that's the model, because if that's the case, I went ahead and read the user manual. Unfortunately, really, really unfortunately for you, you were really close. From the manual:
mini-AB-XP-instructions-4-2-08.pdf wrote:The following DOES NOT apply to the Amazing Box MAX, Little MAX or Amazing Box converter boxes which have a white "Renesas" sticker on the bottom of the converter box.
You see the USB support for WinXP did not include support for USB3. I guess the folks at Amazing Designs used a custom chip that's why they include the drivers. Now, VirtualBox has support ONLY for the Renesas chip, which is included with the other models as you see from the warning in the manual, but not with yours. So, yes, you were really, really close, but unfortunately no.
nco31 wrote:I'm seriously considering buying an old XP boat anchor just for use with this program.
That would be your best bet at this point.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nco31

Post by nco31 »

Now to find one...

Thank you for all of your effort :)