[Solved] Windows xp connecting to mobile internet issues. Help?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
craiglogan

Re: Windows xp connecting to mobile internet issues. Help?

Post by craiglogan »

socratis wrote:@mpack
He's set up with a NAT connection. And it gets an address and everything, even the DNS is valid.

@craiglogan
What do you get from the "ipconfig /all" from a Command Prompt? Do you have any firewall rules in your router? I can't think of anything that could go wrong with a simple NAT connection. The only thing I've seen is that sometimes the "Cable Connected" is not, but that's not the case.
All i get back is "windows IP Configuration"

The dongle is my main internet connection. Wifi/cable are disabled on my host. I've disabled firewall in windows xp and still nothing.

I'm completely stumped
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

craiglogan wrote:All i get back is "windows IP Configuration"
That's it? Nothing else? Then something's not right in your WinXP configuration. Connection or not, you should be getting a list of your adapters. Something is rotten in Denmark...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I assume that "ipconfig /all" was done on the host, not on the WinXP guest.

I don't use cellphone dongles much now (my Samsung phone makes a great mobile hotspot when I need one), but IME they never appear as a network card on the host. They are really modems, not NICs.

But, there has to be drivers and supporting software installed on the host. The OP is a bit vague on that, i.e. is the host able to browse the internet using this device?
craiglogan

Post by craiglogan »

I was doing Ipconfig on xp guest. As you saying i should do it on the host? If so should i have the xp guest open while i do ip config?

When i first plugged the dongle into the host is auto installed its drivers. Internet works fine on host. It also works fine on win 7 guest, win 8 guest and used to work fine on win 10 guest but i've since removed that guest. Hence why i don't know why it doesn't work on xp auto. I'm pretty sure a couple of years ago i have an xp guest and it worked fine with that too
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

craiglogan wrote:I was doing Ipconfig on xp guest.
In that case the results are definitely wrong. Unless you deleted the network card from the default recipe, an XP guest always has a virtual network card defined in the VM settings. Please zip up the .vbox file associated with this VM and attached it to a message here.
craiglogan wrote:As you saying i should do it on the host?
I don't believe I said that. I would like you to confirm that you have the device (still) working on your host.
craiglogan wrote:When i first plugged the dongle into the host is auto installed its drivers.
Well of course, and naturally that can only work once per host for the reasons I outlined in the FAQ I referred you to in the very first reply, which you said you had read.
craiglogan

Post by craiglogan »

mpack wrote:
craiglogan wrote:I was doing Ipconfig on xp guest.
In that case the results are definitely wrong. Unless you deleted the network card from the default recipe, an XP guest always has a virtual network card defined in the VM settings. Please zip up the .vbox file associated with this VM and attached it to a message here.
craiglogan wrote:As you saying i should do it on the host?
I don't believe I said that. I would like you to confirm that you have the device (still) working on your host.
craiglogan wrote:When i first plugged the dongle into the host is auto installed its drivers.
Well of course, and naturally that can only work once per host for the reasons I outlined in the FAQ I referred you to in the very first reply, which you said you had read.
Yes as i stated multiple times, mobile internet via this dongle is my internet connection, wifi/cable are disabled. Yes internet works this way on host and other VM's. Just not XP.

You said you assumed i was doing it on the host .. so i asked you if that is where i should be doing it, Hence the question mark.

And yes i read your guide and confirmed there are drivers installed on host, in confirmation to
But, there has to be drivers and supporting software installed on the host.
I never suggested i expected it to autoinstall any further than the host. As i said, all my other vm's + host have internet connections
craiglogan

Post by craiglogan »

New log, though i doubt anything has changed since the last upload
Attachments
New Compressed (zipped) Folder (2).zip
(22.67 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I actually asked to see the .vbox file, not a log.

Never mind, I can get the same information from the log.

And you are correct: nothing has changed. The log simply confirms what you were already told, i.e. you have not defined a network card in the VM recipe. And, since an Am79C973 network card is part of the XP template, it can only be missing because you deleted it. A PC without a network card will always have difficulty doing network stuff, and a virtual PC is no exception.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Actually Don, you might have missed the Intel PRO/1000 in the log:
00:00:02.875116 [/Devices/e1000/0/LUN#0/] (level 4)
00:00:02.875117   Driver <string>  = "NAT" (cb=4)
The defaults for the WinXP template have changed, and now when you create a new WinXP VM you get an "Intel PRO/1000 T Server" card as the proposed network card, instead of the previously suggested "PCnet-FAST III". You were looking in the wrong area ;)

I was bitten by that myself, that's why I did the "Template defaults (Global.cpp revisions)" post in the "Developers corner" section of the forums, to track changes to the templates.

@craiglogan
The defaults for the template may have changed, but you changed some things yourself, didn't you? While researching my answer, I did a comparison between the logs of a WinXP guest of mine and yours. And there was a line that was different, in the same area, networking:
00:00:02.875107 [/Devices/e1000/0/Config/] (level 4)
00:00:02.875109   AdapterType    <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
Mine was "1". I didn't know what this AdapterType was, but I figured it out; your network card is *not* the "Intel PRO/1000 T Server", which is one that WinXP has drivers for. It's the "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop", a card for which WinXP does *not* have native support. You were prompted about new hardware and you dismissed it(?). And of course you couldn't find drivers on the CD or on the net for that card, so that card is not seen, so you get an empty "ipconfig /all". But in any case, change the card type to the "T Server" kind.

And I would really love a good explanation about why you changed the NIC type and had us going on a wild goose chase...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
craiglogan

Post by craiglogan »

I did not know i had changed the adapter type, and if i did so it must of been accidental. Anyhow, you have diagnosed the issue and xp has an internet connection now. Many thanks for taking the time to solve this for me. T server has fixed the problem
Last edited by socratis on 8. Oct 2017, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

craiglogan wrote:if i did so it must of been accidental
You accidentally changed the network adapter? And then you accidentally dismissed the "Found new hardware"? And you forgot to mention any of that? Oh, well... All's well that ends well ;)

I'll mark this as [Solved].