"Fatal:No bootable medium found! System halted." for my Vista notebook without a cd player

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
vchobby

"Fatal:No bootable medium found! System halted." for my Vista notebook without a cd player

Post by vchobby »

Hi. I lost a cd/dvd player from my Windows Vista notebookcomputer. I have received the message i wrote in the subject line. please teach me what to do to fix.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: "Fatal:No bootable medium found! System halted." for my Vista notebook without a cd player

Post by mpack »

A new VM is like a blank PC - you need to install an Operating System, usually from an installer CD.

The installer CD can be physical, in which case you'd need an actual CD drive.

Or, the CD can be virtual: an ISO image of the physical CD. You mount the ISO in the VM.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_ ... as_rights=
vchobby

Re: "Fatal:No bootable medium found! System halted." for my Vista notebook without a cd player

Post by vchobby »

My physical notebook computer came with Windows Vista and Celeron M. I broke its part where cd or dvd can be inserted and ran. I mean that my notebook computer has no CD drive.

I've downloaded VirtualBox.I haven't downloaded an e
xtention.

I've downloaded CentOS7 and CentOS6 and CorePlus.

I clicked on "New" and pressed ENTER key after I saw "CentOS7" in a blank to create the New. I let this New one to be 8giga. And, the CentOS7 says 32bits.

I do not know where I can obtain an Operating System from. My notebook can access websites extreamly slowly with the Chrome browser with my 5giga data limit locale mobile internet provider. Cannot use the Internet Explorer, maybe because i might have tried to delete the Internet Explorer file; however, i can see the Internet Explorer icon, which doesnt respond when i clicked.

I am hoping to obtain Linux as the Operating System to "mount" on my VirtualBox machine?

Please help me learn how to.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Yes, I already understood that your PC doesn't have a physical CD drive.

VirtualBox does not come with built in installers for any OS. Imagine the download size. Imagine the copyright problems.

If you have downloaded CentOS as an ISO image (if not, do that now), then simply follow the instructions in the user manual: Creating your first VM. You do not need a physical CD drive.

It must be said that your notebook sounds very old. A Vista era notebook (or netbook?) with broken drives and a Celeron processor doesn't sound very suitable for running two or more operating systems at the same time. Can you explain why you think you need a VM? Why not just install CentOS natively on this PC?
vchobby

Post by vchobby »

I looked at some content in my New I have created in the VirtualBox on my Windows Vista computer after reading the wonderful feedback. I can now see that I in reality have chosen the Redhat -32bit version Linux type and named it as CentOS7. Before starting to touch or read the VirtualBox's Website, I bought a book teaching in Japanese how to learn to use Linux by using VirtualBox and a file titled as CentOS7 by the authour. It seems that i mixed things up.

After reading the feedback, I also tried to open or run CorePlus by just clicking an icon or file i have ended up downloading, and the CorePlus file didnt open or run alone.

I have downloaded CentOS6 from a Japanese website of CentoOS website's list. I haven't learned how to unzip the CentOS6 file. And, I now can think that I should ask CentOS about this file if i cannot google and find answers myself.

I will keep trying.