Attaching hard disk fails

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jonathancamilleri1980

Attaching hard disk fails

Post by jonathancamilleri1980 »

I am trying to attach a hard disk recovered from a Macbook, that I purchased online, and, since windows explorer (Win 10 Home) fails to load this hard disk within the view, why is it that I cannot find enough information to configure this hard disk even when trying to configure a new virtual box.

I also wrote to Microsoft Communities on this issue as well, since I am not sure whether I am missing something from the operating system's various features I have gone through most options within the control panel that I knew about.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Attaching hard disk fails

Post by mpack »

Not nearly enough information. I'm not even clear why you are using a virtual machine at all: accessing physical hardware is not the normal use of a VIRTUAL machine.

There is also a legal problem: the Apple license only allows you to run OS X on Apple hardware. So if you are trying to evade the Apple license then we can't help you. If you are an Apple user with a damaged drive then perhaps take it to an Apple shop to have the contents recovered?
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

From your description, the Hard Disk would have been formatted to work in a Mac and the disk format used completely different (and incompatible) with the Windows operating system.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I assume he's aware that OS X is required, which is why he is looking at mounting it in a VM. But, whether or not OS X is installed from scratch or loaded from the disk (but if the disk is working then why was it removed from the Macbook?), it would still be illegal to run it on a Windows Host and so cannot be discussed here.

Plus I assume that the OP is aware of the illegality, hence the attempt to mollify us mods with the note that the drive was "purchased online" - which in fact makes no difference. I might be able to purchase a bazooka online - it doesn't mean that I can use it legally.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

Yes, points taken.