Trouble with port forwarding from linux guest to windows host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ohnoplus
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Trouble with port forwarding from linux guest to windows host

Post by ohnoplus »

I am having some trouble getting port forwarding to work. I tried posting to stack-overflow here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/462 ... em-to-work
I didn't get any response there, besides a downvote, so I am cross posting here as well. Here's a basic recap of my situation:

I am running ubuntu 16.04 on a Virtualbox 5.1.28 r117968. I am trying to run a jupyter notebook on the guest and be able to access it from the host. I've tried two different ways of port forwarding, though neither of them seems to work.

In the first way, I use my existing NAT Adapter 1 to forward the port. I click network, Adapter 1, port forwarding and then I fill in as follows
Name; Protocol; Host IP; Host Port; Guest IP; Guest Port
Forward 8886; TCP; 127.0.0.1; 8886; 10.0.2.15 8886

Where 10.0.2.15 is what comes up for that ethernet port when I run ifconfig.
I then run jupyter notebook on port 8886 and try to connect from a browser running in the host and have no success connecting.

The other way I tried setting things up followed some suggestion I found here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/155 ... ect=1&lq=1

In this case, I selected Adapter 2, set adapter type to paravirtualized network.
Under port forwarding I put in
Name; Protocol; Host IP; Host Port; Guest IP; Guest Port
Forward 8885; TCP; 127.0.0.1; 8885; left blank; 8886

Then I try to run a jupyter notebook on 8885 and also have no success.

I'm running out of ideas here. I hope I am missing something obvious. Any suggestions?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Trouble with port forwarding from linux guest to windows host

Post by mpack »

Your question on StackOverflow is worded differently. There you make it quite clear that you're trying to forward TCP/IP traffic from the guest to the host. This is not a feature I've ever needed to use, but I'm pretty sure that won't work.

The network filter exists on the host, not the guest. The host sees stuff arrive on a physical network and redirects it to the guest. Once it arrives in the guest it has already been redirected, so it certainly isn't going to get redirected again! That would lead to insanity.