Failed to Attach USB Device, no Drag and Drop

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Snowshoeing

Failed to Attach USB Device, no Drag and Drop

Post by Snowshoeing »

I've installed the latest version 5.1.28, and was unable to access USB devices, or use drag and drop, despite it being configured bidirectional. Installed the Guest Additions, and thereafter the Virtual Machine would not boot to other than a black screen. I read there was an issue with Guest Additions for that version, so I completely uninstalled, and am now running 5.1.26, with Guest Additions installed, I am still unable to use USB devices or drag and drop.

Surely this is an easy fix, thanks for an advise:)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Failed to Attach USB Device, no Drag and Drop

Post by mpack »

The GAs have nothing to do with USB. The only problem I'm aware of with the 5.1.28 GAs is a reported crash as the VM shuts down. I've not seen anyone reporting that it can't do drag/drop.

If you want to continue this discussion then provide a VM log: with the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
Snowshoeing

Post by Snowshoeing »

Sorry for delay, just saw your response now.

Log attached as per your request.

I set up a new version 5.1.28, worked fine on internet. Added USB filter, rebooted VM, no USB action and no more internet.

Thanks very much for helping out.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(20.98 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

How does your host access the internet? Usually such mysterious USB glitches are caused by the user defining an overly broad (i.e. blank) USB filter which therefore grabs the wrong host device. In your case it sounds like an external NIC or modem got grabbed.