Error: FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pepe_gotera

Error: FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.

Post by pepe_gotera »

Hello everybody,

I have converted a raw image (dd image) of a Windows system in VDI disk (using the tool provided by VirtualBox). Then, I have created a new virtual machine in Virtual Vox using the VDI disk and when I try to run the VM, it shows me this error:

FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Error: FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.

Post by mpack »

The error message means what it says. The image you provided is not a bootable disk image. Most likely it was a partition dump.

Why use an antiquated tool such as dd on Windows anyway? If you want to image a disk then I'd use Disk2VHD.
pepe_gotera

Post by pepe_gotera »

mpack wrote:The error message means what it says. The image you provided is not a bootable disk image. Most likely it was a partition dump.

Why use an antiquated tool such as dd on Windows anyway? If you want to image a disk then I'd use Disk2VHD.
In fact, it is not a dd image, it just was an example to make it clear. I got this raw image with a specific hardware tool, without using any software. But in the name of God, it is supposedly a *raw" image, and every bit of the disk shoud be in the image. I have mounted it by using different tools and it works but now I need to run it.

How could I convert it in a bootable disk image? How can I debug the error?

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

pepe_gotera wrote:it is supposedly a *raw" image, and every bit of the disk shoud be in the image
Except that it isn't. You should stop believing that the error message is a mistake. That error is never mistaken. Either the image really isn't bootable, or it isn't connected to the VM.
pepe_gotera wrote:How could I convert it in a bootable disk image?
You don't. You either image the original disk correctly, or if the original disk was not bootable then you need to make it so before imaging it.

What is on the disk? I.e. what leads you to believe that it should be bootable?
pepe_gotera

Post by pepe_gotera »

OK, I assume it is not a mistake and I have to change "anything" to run it, so how can I fix it? I can say you the image is complete because the hardware I used is a standard forensic one, so the disk was cloned bit to bit and I have a whole image of the original hard disk.

I need to run it for a customer. What tool could I use to fix it and make the disk bootable?

Thanks.
Last edited by socratis on 1. Oct 2017, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
pepe_gotera

Post by pepe_gotera »

Anybody?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

What? Your last post simply repeated your earlier question which was already answered.
mpack wrote:
pepe_gotera wrote:How could I convert it in a bootable disk image?
You don't. You either image the original disk correctly, or if the original disk was not bootable then you need to make it so before imaging it.
Avi27

Post by Avi27 »

mpack wrote:The error message means what it says. The image you provided is not a bootable disk image. Most likely it was a partition dump.
Why use an antiquated tool such as dd on Windows anyway? If you want to image a disk then I'd use: Disk2VHD

How do I re-insert the requested image?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Avi27 wrote:How do I re-insert the requested image?
I'm not sure what you mean. There is no problem with "insertion" in the above topic, at least not that I know of.

Take your bootable ISO image containing the setup CD of the OS you wish to install, and attach it to the VM using the VM settings Storage panel (the panel will have an equivalent name in your own language). As I said above, the error message is quite simple and means what it says: no bootable medium is currently attached to the VM. So, to fix this problem, make sure your ISO image is of a bootable CD, and make sure it's attached to the VM.