Flickering on a single VM of many

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mcc85

Flickering on a single VM of many

Post by mcc85 »

Greetings everyone,

I am generating this post as there's not enough documentation available to help me resolve it...

But I have built a machine that uses 6 VM's. The host machine has 7 displays across 2 GTX 1060's and although I'm not ruling out that this could be a hardware limitation, I was hoping I might be able to get some answers here about this particular issue I am dealing with.

The host machine has a total of 6 VM's, they all use 2d/3d acceleration and 5 of them are running perfectly with no hiccups in full screen mode. Guest additions installed on each one, everything is hunky dorey on the other 5...

But the 6th one is having issues which I can only describe as "flickering" every time I or the owner wants to shift focus to it. Here's what it does - If I hover my mouse over the VM and the screen it occupies, there does not appear to be any flickering. As soon as I click on it, the screen flashes black for a moment and comes right back up. Also, if I click on the start button (all of these machines are running W10), the flickering can get so bad that it becomes a serious distraction. Whenever I remote into the host system and shift focus to that VM or it's screen, as soon as I start to click on it or do anything, the remote program says something about "fast user switching/cannot be seen". When this happens, I either have t switch to the whole 7 monitor overlay and try to recover there, or I sometimes have to disconnect and reconnect. I have posted a video which shows the issue I'm having, feel free to check it out as describing what's going on doesn't give it the justice it deserves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH4d--Wx434
mcc85

Re: Flickering on a single VM of many

Post by mcc85 »

I should also say that sometimes this particular VM crashes with some type of memory exception. I've run sfc /scannow on it and it doesn't report any violations so I feel that it has to be an issue with the video driver or something... I tried to get a screen capture of the error message but I failed. Will post if I see it again.