vb can't find cd/dvd drive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
davet

vb can't find cd/dvd drive

Post by davet »

I'm running win xp on vb 5.1.28, under Win 10. It has somehow lost its ability to find the CD/DVD drive. It worked some time in the past, allowing me to install soft ware, but no longer. When I open the xp virtual machine, it tells me that the drive is empty, even when it is not. I run all the troubleshooting steps, and while it tells me the device is present, it can't find the disk that is there.
Under the Manager screen, I click on settings, then storage, under the Controller: IDE there is (in addition to windows xp.vdi) what appears to be a CD icon with the word 'empty' beside it. 'Attributes: optical drive' is grayed out. Clicking and unclicking 'live cd/dvd' has no effect.
What do I do?
dave
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: vb can't find cd/dvd drive

Post by socratis »

You have to click the right CD icon and either select the host drive passthrough (as in the picture) or an ISO image.
or you can click directly in the CD in the VirtualBox Manager, without actually opening the settings:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.