virtualbox bugs? slow when installing or runnning anything DOS based

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: virtualbox bugs? slow when installing or runnning anything DOS based

Post by socratis »

I got nothing else, I'm sorry. That was the only difference I could find between either the recipes or the logs. Let's see if anyone else has any ideas...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaelweaser

Post by michaelweaser »

I am wondering if there is some bug in virtualbox that is causing the issue on my laptop or something? What I have said before they both have the same generation cpu type and same graphics. The only main difference between the processor is the desktop is quad core, while the laptop is dual core hyperthreaded. Also The desktop processor really isn't that slower than the laptop in single core stuff, on a website that has benchmarks, the single core benchmark for my laptop is 1520, while the desktop is 1697. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.ph ... cmp[]=1475 , I think it's weird that my laptop has the problem and my desktop don't , when the desktop is only barely faster in single core stuff. Also I found out the cpu on the laptop maxes at almost 100% when I am on the VM, on the desktop it's maybe only 30%. I don't understand why virtualbox on my laptop is using more of my cpu , even if virtualbox is set to use 1 core.
michaelweaser

Post by michaelweaser »

I found the most weird solution to the issue, reinstall windows ..... reinstalling windows 10 on the laptop solved the issue.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That implies that it was a host process which was taking all the CPU or I/O bandwidth.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

When in doubt, reinstall the OS. You got to love it...

In fact, it's the same approach the Microsoft themselves have taken with Win10 updates. They pretty much re-install the whole damn thing, just to make sure that they do a fresh start. Breaking things along the way of course, like VirtualBox and VirtualBox Guest Additions if you're running Win10 as a guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

socratis wrote:They pretty much re-install the whole damn thing, just to make sure that they do a fresh start.
I think that's only with the more major updates. I have very slow internet at home (<1.5Mbps), so I'd know if it was getting the big download every week!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes, of course, I'm talking about the 1511's, the 1607's, the 1703's, etc.
Le grand Kahunas... ;)
michaelweaser

Post by michaelweaser »

I am going to try to figure out what happened, I don't know what was taking up the CPU / I/O bandwidth , but when it was running on the previous install what I have said before it was automatically running at 100%, it was only Virtualbox processes that was doing it though. I am not sure but is this a possible Virtualbox bug? When i load virtualbox and run a VM, after I close the VM and virtualbox, there is still virtualbox processes running in task manager taking up like 30-40% of your cpu, even if virtualbox is completely closed.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

michaelweaser wrote:is this a possible Virtualbox bug?
Not even *you* can't reproduce the bug, how on earth are you jumping to the immediate question "is this a bug?". No, it's not, if it's not reproducible. And in your case, it isn't. There was obviously something wrong with your setup. Which a reinstall fixed.
michaelweaser

Post by michaelweaser »

I am talking about totally something else ,
I am not sure but is this a possible Virtualbox bug? When i load virtualbox and run a VM, after I close the VM and virtualbox, there is still virtualbox processes running in task manager taking up like 30-40% of your cpu, even if virtualbox is completely closed.
I was having this problem with virtualbox with windows 10 before the new installation , and its happens in the new installation as well, I did test it on the desktop it does it as well sometimes, a process is running in task manager , of virtualbox , even when virtualbox is fully closed. The issue is random sometimes it will do it but usually it doesn't. Since it still happens It has nothing to do with the previous version of windows. If I can reproduce it on another computer like my tower , Then yes it could be a bug.