Failed to open a session for the virtual machine <name>

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Alex1969
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP; Win7; Win10

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine <name>

Post by Alex1969 »

Hello community,

I've copied a VM[1] with my user in our domain and added it to virtualbox (Version 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2)). After starting the machine I installed the according GuestAddition. All works fine.

A colleague try to use this VM but it fails with the error message:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine MT-Z2105VM3.

The VM session was closed before any attempt to power it on.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {7844aa05-b02e-4cdd-a04f-ade4a762e6b7}
In this community I found several ideas, but nothing solved my problem. So I ask here with attached log files in a ZIP archive (log/hardening log).

Kind regards
Alexander Sailer

[1] WinXP (x86) with SP3
Attachments
logs.zip
MT-Z2105VM3 logs
(65.48 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine <name>

Post by mpack »

I'm not sure that VirtualBox has been installed correctly. It should be installed using "Run as administrator", for the correct user (i.e. not "Administrator" user account).

After that, the next thing to consider is your antivirus software.
chimpa codigo

Post by chimpa codigo »

There might be an issue with the naming of the file and/or virtual machine. I've had a few instances where it wouldn't take the VM based on the characters being used.

Also, make sure that you have the write permissions setup, otherwise it won't allow access to either the configuration or the virtual hard drive at bootup. One of the best ways to check this is to see if it is displaying in the VM's settings.

From the looks of it, it appears that your network adapter is not configured which means that your instance needs to be setup correctly.

00:00:01.300511 VRDP: TCP server failed to bind to a port: default 3389, range [3389]
00:00:01.300669 VRDP: Failed to start VRDP-IN thread, rc = VERR_NET_ADDRESS_IN_USE
00:00:01.301011 VRDP: TCP server closed.
00:00:01.301229 VRDE: Warning: failed to launch VRDE server (VERR_NET_ADDRESS_IN_USE): VirtualBox Remote Desktop Extension server can't bind to the port(s): 3389

I've run into this before with a few settings when an adapter was removed before the settings were set on the other boxes and usually opening up the network adapter settings for the machine will usually automatically correct it to the proper settings, but this is only on the simplest network settings.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The VM in the OPs case is called "MT-Z2105VM3". Nothing strikes me as suspect there: those are all legal filename characters on all Windows hosts.

Good catch on the VDRP issue. If the OP is using VRDP and failed to mention it then I think that should qualify for an instant slap on head.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

As the copied VM appears to be Windows XP, might this be a clue to the issue?

"Error code 0x80004005

This problem may occur if a file that the Windows Product Activation (WPA) requires is damaged or missing. This behavior occurs if one or both of the following conditions are true:
- A third-party backup utility or an antivirus program interferes with the installation of Windows XP.
- A file that WPA requires is manually modified."

Source and suggested actions: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... hen-you-tr
Alex1969

Post by Alex1969 »

By now I upgraded my Virtual Box to the current version 5.1.28 along with the extension pack. Unfortunately the problem exists further.
User1: All machines created and imported from User1 works with User1. User2 gets the named error trying to start clients created by User1.
User2: All machines created and imported from User2 works with User2. User1 gets the named error trying to start clients created by User2.

Also machines created and installed new with a valid registered and activated Windows (doesn't matter Win7 or Win10, both x64)

Any hints?

@mpack: I installed the current version of VBox as an administrator.

@chimpa codigo: The names of the clients are valid names for the host OS (Win7 x64). The settings of the VMs could be accessed from both users. A modification of the NWA setting didn't change the behavior.
Please explain me "VDPR". I'm not familiar with that abbreviation.

@erdeslawe: This behavior appears not only for WinXP. This seems to be a general problem.

Kind regards
Alexander Sailer
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

RDP = Remote Desktop Protocol. VRDP = VirtualBox RDP, the VirtualBox support for RDP over virtual networks. It means you are accessing the VM remotely using an RDP client. Not something you could fail to know, and not something you should fail to mention.

What conclusion did your consideration of your antivirus software produce?
Alex1969

Post by Alex1969 »

Hello mpack,

THX for explanation. This hint is useful but currently not relevant: I'm accessing directly the host and from this host directly the clients.
If it all works I'm going to access the clients directly through the host, but the host is accessed by RTP from the OS. So it is no VRDP or am I wrong?