usbfilter does not work in headless mode

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dadaniel
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: w7

usbfilter does not work in headless mode

Post by dadaniel »

When running

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" startvm "Terminal_1" --type headless
the existing USB filter does not work, but is working when running in GUI mode.

When trying
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" controlvm Terminal_1 usbattach f028ed05-df4b-4d54-a454-4d9b7076056e
it shows the error "VBoxManage.exe: error: Machine 'Terminal_1' is not currently running"

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" list runningvms
has no output although the machine is running.

Please help!

Host OS: Windows Server 2016
VirtualBox 5.1.26
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: usbfilter does not work in headless mode

Post by socratis »

dadaniel wrote:"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" list runningvms
has no output although the machine is running.
This is most probably caused because the VM was started as a different user. VirtualBox sees the user's (and only that user's) VMs and running VMs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dadaniel
Primary OS: Other
Guest OSses: w7

Post by dadaniel »

I started the VM using task scheduler with the same user account as I tried to list runningvms. I also tried running the VM as SYSTEM account and run list runningvms from an elevated command line but also no result.
Could you please try to reproduce this behaviour?
Last edited by socratis on 12. Sep 2017, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I don't have to reproduce something that I already know about. If you start your VMs "normally" you will not have that problem. If you use the Task Scheduler, you do not start your VMs as your normal user. Otherwise you would be able to see them. There are no ifs, ands or buts about that.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.