No pen drive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
quincisoft

No pen drive

Post by quincisoft »

I have host on windows 10 ent 64 bit. On a virtualbox a xp machine. I have already installed guest additions and followed the instruction for the disclosure of usb devices. But I get this error:
Connecting the USB Device USB to USB 2.0 Flash Drive [0100] to the virtual machine xp failed.

USB device 'USB 2.0 Flash Drive Power' by UUID {858d18fc-673a-424d-a86a-31a0b5698b72} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Output Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDeviceWrap
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {c19073dd-cc7b-431b-98b2-951fda8eab89}
Caller: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Suggestions?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: No pen drive

Post by mpack »

quincisoft

Post by quincisoft »

I tried with the FAQ but nothing. The guest system does not see the pen drive. I attach two screens.
quincisoft

Post by quincisoft »

Capture1.jpg
Capture1.jpg (14.47 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
quincisoft

Post by quincisoft »

Capture3.jpg
Capture3.jpg (87.52 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
quincisoft

Post by quincisoft »

Capture2.jpg
Capture2.jpg (20.24 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

quincisoft wrote:I tried with the FAQ but nothing.
What exactly did you try from the FAQ?
Did you try to create a filter? (no you didn't, or it doesn't show)
Is the pen drive a "permanent" feature in your computer? I.e. can you plug/unplug it?
Read ALL of the posts in the FAQ once more please before answering...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
quincisoft

Post by quincisoft »

Before I wrote I read and did the steps written in the FAQ and virtualBox manual, but I did not have any positive results. Then I decided to write here. Now I've solved myself. Even though I'm an administrator user on my system I have to run virtualbox as ... run as administrator. Now everything works.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

quincisoft wrote:I have to run virtualbox as ... run as administrator. Now everything works.
That is *not* something you should be doing because of serious security implications, and it shows that something is not right with your whole setup, *or* something is missing from the FAQ.

Could you answer my questions please so we can figure this out? Mainly if the pen drive is a permanent feature in your computer (if it's pluggable or not) and whether there is a service/program running at all times in your host which captures it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Oh jeez... I just realized that "pen drive"=="USB stick"=="removable storage device". All this time I was thinking that this was one of those "pen style devices" that are used for drawing in CAD and image editing programs. Lost in translation... :shock:

Anyway, I'm not sure why you can't see the device in your guest, maybe you have a file open? Since you read the FAQ, please provide the information in the last post as well. We don't even have a VBox.log.zip...
quincisoft

Post by quincisoft »

Certainly . I used a simple removable pen drive. I tried it before without creating a filter and then with a filter. From the virtualbox device menu it detects the pen drive, but when i click with the mouse, I see the error I reported at the beginning of this post. With usbdeview I checked the correspondence of data with those detected by visualbox. All right. But the error remained. busy device. I have disabled the antivirus. I had also created a shared folder and worked fine. The doubt came to me when I tried to clone the virtual machine and told me that I could not do it. I could use the virtual machine using a previously created virtual hard disk but not clone it. Cloning also creates a new virtual hd so I thought that visualbox did not have permissions. From here the choice run as administrator ...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Something does not compute...
  • Are you running the VM from the USB drive?
  • Does anything else has an exclusive lock on the USB drive? That's what "busy device" means. Busy from some other process.
  • What does the cloning have to do with the whole thing?
  • Please re-read my previous post and provide the information requested, the information from the FAQ.
quincisoft

Post by quincisoft »

No I use VM on a PC
The pen was not used by any process. It was just in the door. No autoplay. No open files. No antivirus
I write software and very often the system crashes. For this reason I use VM and I used cloning.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:Since you read the FAQ, please provide the information in the last post as well. We don't even have a VBox.log.zip...
quincisoft

Post by quincisoft »

here it is
Attachments
VisualBoxLog.rar
(3.66 KiB) Downloaded 7 times