No USB Support

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
johndoe3815

No USB Support

Post by johndoe3815 »

Hi,

I am running Virtual Box on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition and I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition on my virtual box. My problem is that for some reason I can't get it to see my USB devices. It recognizes my mouse and keyboard and that is all. It will not recognize any flash drives or external hard drives that I try to plug into it. I really need to solve this issue. I have tried to find an answer to this problem online but none of the answers so far have worked for me and most of the ones I have seen, have dealt with other operating systems being the host system and therefore when trying to follow along with their tutorials it is impossible to do so. I have the latest version of Virtual Box installed and as far as I know, there is no other add on packs needed with this that I could find. The version number I have is - 5.1.26

Please understand, that I have very little experience with this and I have only worked with this a couple times with a lot of help. So any answers need to be very understandable for an older person to understand. I really want to get this to work, and any help help I can get will be very appreciated. On another note, I am also experiencing a problem with getting my box to see my current Network I have and instead wants to create its own. I really need it to see the network as I have stuff I need to share back and forth between it, mostly the printer. I have no idea why this is the case. Finally I can't seem to get it to upload anything but the basic widows driver and in order to play certain games, I need it to be able to use a more up to date driver for my video card which is a Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti 6GB

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ken
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No USB Support

Post by socratis »

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: No USB Support

Post by BillG »

The networking is pretty simple. By default the vm uses NAT, which gives it an Internet connection. This is the default because it is the most common way people run a vm. Read the manual to see the other networking options. If your host machine is on a home network, the best setting is probably bridged.

The video is different. The vm does not see the physical video card in the physical machine so there is no point in thinking about adding drivers to the vm. The vm sees it own emulated video card which is pretty basic and not suitable for most games.
Bill