[Solved] Trouble with the F8 key.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Witty Name

[Solved] Trouble with the F8 key.

Post by Witty Name »

So yesterday I decided to finally try and set up a virtual machine. So everything was going fine, and then I got to the set up screen. as usual the licensing agreement shows up, and it says f8= I agree. so I press F8 and nothing happens. all the other keys work in the Vm but nothing happens when I press F8. Now i know that in current versions of windows F8 is deactivated by default, but I already turned it on and the F8 key is working properly outside of my Vm. I cant get passed the set up screen because of this and I would like to know if anyone else has this same issue or has any idea how to fix it. I am trying to emulate Windows XP and my host computer is running Windows 8.1 in case those factors are playing into my problem.
Last edited by socratis on 20. Aug 2017, 03:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Trouble with the F8 key.

Post by Perryg »

The guest would use ( host+f8 ). host by default == right control key unless you have changed it.
Witty Name

Post by Witty Name »

Perryg wrote:The guest would use ( host+f8 ). host by default == right control key unless you have changed it.
It didn't work.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

It should if the guest has focus. Actually the F8 key should work by itself if the guest has focus. Did you click on the guest first?
Did you create a USB device for the keyboard by mistake? The keyboard is a shared device and should never be assigned to a USB filter.
Witty Name

Post by Witty Name »

Perryg wrote:It should if the guest has focus. Actually the F8 key should work by itself if the guest has focus. Did you click on the guest first?
Did you create a USB device for the keyboard by mistake? The keyboard is a shared device and should never be assigned to a USB filter.
What would it mean to have the guest be focused (i'm sorry i'm not well versed in this kind of stuff). If you mean that the keyboard doesn't work inside the machine then that's not the problem, as it seems to work for everything except the f keys(like f2, or f5 ect) (for example i can page up, down, and disagree to the terms of service (using esc) its only the f keys that aren't working. Could it be the ISO I'm using should I download another one?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Do you use a laptop? Does it have a "Fn" key? If yes, try pressing Fn+F8.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Witty Name

Post by Witty Name »

socratis wrote:Do you use a laptop? Does it have a "Fn" key? If yes, try pressing Fn+F8.
yes it worked thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Trouble with the F8 key.

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.