Automatic Shutdown Host, when power off Guest!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
SaimondPSchroder

Automatic Shutdown Host, when power off Guest!

Post by SaimondPSchroder »

Hello;
I need shutdown my host after power off guest...
I have windows 95 guest, on windows XP Host...
Thanks;
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Automatic Shutdown Host, when power off Guest!

Post by scottgus1 »

There isn't anything in Virtualbox that will shut down the host PC when the guest is shut down.
You don't specifically say what operating system your host runs, but since this is the Windows Hosts forum I'll assume it's a Windows host OS. (Though the number of folks posting in Windows Hosts about a problem with their Linux guest is rather increasing...)

On a Windows host, at least XP or later, there is Visual Basic Scripting (or VBscript), a built-in scripting language that can monitor the operation of a program and then do something when that program is no longer running. Linux and Macintosh no doubt have similar offerings. You can have such a script watch for the running of you Virtualbox guest, then shut down the host when the Virtualbox process handling the guest quits. You can also have the script put up a pop-up window asking if you really want to shut down, and after a certain time proceed to shut down unless you defeat the shut-down with the pop-up box buttons. You can have the script start when you log on, too, so you don't have to remember to start the script, or you can cause the script to start the guest then wait for it to shut down then shut down the host. Lots of possibilities.
SaimondPSchroder

Re: Automatic Shutdown Host, when power off Guest!

Post by SaimondPSchroder »

Ok, thank you, I’ll search about VBScript comands...
My host computer is Windows XP SP3...
And, I have an program that only runs in Windows 95...
Then, when I power off windows 95 also power off Windows XP automatically...
When power on XP, Automatically power on Windows 95... (its ok... run witch shortcut in startup folder)...