Memory problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jiger
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP, Linux Mint

Memory problem

Post by Jiger »

Hallo,

I have Windows XP sp3 with all updates including "sp4" 32 bit under a host of Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I have a problem with memory loss (trapped memory according to iolo´s System Mechanic) now and then, which leads to a power off the machine and a restart. My question: Is it possible to increase the memory in the VM in a simple way, in order to avoid these situations?

Regards/Jiger
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Memory problem

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid that the term "trapped memory" is not one I recognize, and the word "memory" itself is ambiguous when referring to PCs. PCs have either RAM (non persistent memory) or disk storage (persistent memory, including SSDs and flash). Please explain your problem again, using the words RAM or disk as appropriate.

A log file may also be useful. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

(Later) Does "trapped memory" perhaps refer to a memory leak? With what VirtualBox version?
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

When this problem occurs and it is not necessary to power down and restart, System Mechanic repairs and this will affect the RAM situation, so RAM must be the relevant term here.
I have the latest version of VB, version 5.1.26 r117224 (Qt5.6.2)
Log file is included.

/Jiger
Attachments
Windows XP-2017-08-16-11-51-41.zip
(24.9 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm not convinced you have a real problem. It is perfectly normal for host RAM to fill up with cached disk data when you use an application (such as VirtualBox) that makes use of large disk files. This is not a memory leak: if it was a memory leak then the task manager would show that the RAM used by one or more of the VirtualBox tasks was growing substantially over time (actually memory leaks don't need to be substantial, but we don't much care about minor ones).

I should say that I have no knowledge of "System Mechanic" and therefore no faith in it either. I would prefer evidence for VirtualBox problems to be backed up by official Windows tools - such as Task Manager.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

OK, thanks for your time and lets close this ticket for now.

/Jiger