WinXP as guest blocks Audacity on host?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hanswkraus
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Biolinux 6 (Ubuntu)

WinXP as guest blocks Audacity on host?

Post by hanswkraus »

Hi,
I installed Win XP as guest on a Win 8.1 amd host.Audacity can't access my Xonar-7 audio device via USB when the guest is running. I have added 'ASUS Xonar X7' as USB filter and unchecked it, but with no avail. Any hints for me?

Kind regards, Hans
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: WinXP as guest blocks Audacity on host?

Post by mpack »

The only way VirtualBox blocks USB devices is if you defined a USB filter that matches it. Try deleting all USBs filter from the guest, you could even disable USB in the guest altogether if it isn't needed. At the very least make sure you aren't using any blank filters, as those match everything: not just the device you intended.

p.s. I hope you understand that USB is not designed to let devices be shared. One PC owns the device. If you had an USB audio device owned by the VM then naturally the host will have no access to it.
hanswkraus

Post by hanswkraus »

Thanks for the answer. I have investigated the problem a bit further. The blocking happens with all virtual machines (at least with a Debian 9 amd64 one too), not only those with WinXP. I will try to disable USB on the Debian 9 one when it is finally installed. The WinXP one needs USB for the mouse.

The 'filter' part of the USB config window is empty.

It seems that VirtualBox wants to connect to USB audio devices automatically. At least I saw such a message when I plugged in my cell phone.

Yes, I know that USB is not shareable. I do want to record per Audacity from my Xonar-7 and I'm not trying to access the Xonar-7 from the virtual machine(s).

Kind regards,
Hans
hanswkraus

Post by hanswkraus »

Hi,

I've disabled USB now in the Debian 9 machine. I still get the error from Audacity: "Error while opening the audio device" (approx. text, translated from German).

Kind regards,
Hans