PPPoE trouble with Windows 7 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
NoNoNo
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP(32bit) / Debian 8.x / Debian 7.x / Windows 7(32bit)

PPPoE trouble with Windows 7 Host

Post by NoNoNo »

[ModEdit; related ticket: #14271: Start/Stop VM affect PPPoE link, with bridged networking.]
Today I install Vbox 5.1.26, I found an old problem remain. I post new topic because some infos I want to add.

My networking problem was back in 5.0.x, It is:
  • HOST is Windows 7 64-bit
  • GUEST is Windows XP
  • Bridged networking
  • HOST connect to internet via PPPoE, but PPPoE hang out the line when GUEST start OR stop OR change image file for Virtual SATA CD-ROM.
At beginning, my long-time used firewall application, "Comodo Firewall" is highly suspicious by me. but I afraid to change it. Until now, I try multiple version of Comodo software. version that I installed:
  • Comodo Firewall 5.12.256249.2599 (used for years)
  • Comodo Firewall 7.0.317799.4142
  • Comodo Firewall 8.2.0.4792
  • Comodo Firewall 10.0.1.6258
These versions can not solve my problem. In last test, I remove all firewall, and I never activate Windows firewall.

...Yes, I finally found this problem is not caused by Comodo Firewall. It come with VBox and continue trouble me when I upgrade to VBox 5.1.26.

Moreover, I can bypass this problem with 5.0, by NDIS5 host network filters. But now, "NDIS5 trick" cause more problem with VBox 5.1.26; PPPoE connect will never be established.

If no other solutions, I have only 2 options;
  1. Install 5.1.26 with default install (NDIS6 filters) and take it, Re-dial all the way.
  2. Back to 4.3.40. Seriously? I'm not so sure.
Virtual Networking with NAT is known no problem at all. NAT maybe 3rd option if I can take it.
Last edited by socratis on 4. Feb 2018, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: PPPoE trouble with Windows 7 Host

Post by scottgus1 »

There are times when Bridged won't work. Bridged doesn't always work on a Wi-Fi connection. Bridged doesn't (always?) work when the PC is directly connected to the internet modem without a router in between. Bridged may not work with PPPoE?

If you don't have a physical router handling your house network, and your internet connects directly to the ethernet port on your PC, and your PC handles the PPPoE authentication, consider buying a router. The routers I have seen can handle PPPoE authentication, and they can copy the PC's MAC address registered with the ISP, so the router can pass internet to more than one PC in the network. You will likely be able to Bridge in this case.

Also try uninstalling Commodo, temporarily.

If none of the above or other ideas work, the go-to solution when Bridged won't work is to have two network adapters in the guest, one on NAT and the other on Host-Only. NAT handles internet, and Host-Only handles connection between host and guest using the Host-Only virtual network adapter on the host by its IP address, by default 192.168.56.1, and the guest in the 192.168.56.### range.
NoNoNo
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP(32bit) / Debian 8.x / Debian 7.x / Windows 7(32bit)

Re: PPPoE trouble with Windows 7 Host

Post by NoNoNo »

After trying 5.1.28/30/32/33(r120679), trouble not pass away. VBox with NDIS6 driver install in windows 7 host, as my experiences, always hang PPPoE connection when Start or Stop VM...

I would like to correct previous post:
About VBox 5.1.26 and NDIS5, I said it "cause PPPoE connection can not be established." but I can not reproduce now.

Looks NDIS5 driver is my last life-saver?