running Team Fortress 2 game on VirtualBox (Windows 7)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Eddio 0141

running Team Fortress 2 game on VirtualBox (Windows 7)

Post by Eddio 0141 »

I was trying to run the first person shooting game "Team Fortress 2" on virtualbox
The guest OS is Windows 7, 1 core, 128MB video memory with 3D acceleration, 4GB RAM, disabled all animations/sounds/windows features that i won't use for the game, installed virtualbox cd addon on guest, configured the game (no particles/low quality texture/removed hats on players)

but when i launch the game it closes in about 15 seconds. i checked the task manager and it seems to try to run but suddenly closes.
I haven't received any error message and i searched about it on google but i found nothing about it.
can somebody help me with this? thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: running Team Fortress 2 game on VirtualBox (Windows 7)

Post by scottgus1 »

Games don't run well on virtual machines. Except for the CPU, the guest's "hardware" is all emulated, and this includes the guest's "video card". If you have turned on 2D/3D acceleration in the guest Virtualbox settings, and you have installed the 3D WDDM part of the Guest Additions in the guest OS, then you have got as far as you can get to use the game. If it won't run now you are at the end of your resources using Virtualbox. You will need to dual-boot to Windows 7 on the physical PC to get further.

One other thing you can try if your game requires a CD-ROM in the drive - check the "Pass-Through" checkbox on the CD drive in the guest Virtualbox settings.