Second window no longer opens on second monitor...?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
OppfinnarJocke
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: W7

Second window no longer opens on second monitor...?

Post by OppfinnarJocke »

I have VB running W10x86pro in a W7x64pro host. The host has two monitors, and VB is set up to use two displays. This used to work just fine for a long time, VB opened two windows, the first window full screen on the first monitor (the main monitor of the host), and the second window full screen on the second monitor. However, as of version 5.1.26 r117224, VB no longer opens its second window on the second monitor. Instead the second window is opened on the same monitor as the first, overlaying the first window. Even if I manually set up the two windows on separate monitors, the next time I start VB it again opens both windows on the host's main screen.

Has some setting changed in VB? Is there maybe something that I have (unknowingly) changed?

Thanks,
// Jocke
Host: W7x64. Guest: W7x86.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Second window no longer opens on second monitor...?

Post by socratis »

Get out of full-screen. Move window1 to monitor1 and window2 to monitor2. Then go full-screen.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
OppfinnarJocke

Post by OppfinnarJocke »

socratis wrote:Get out of full-screen. Move window1 to monitor1 and window2 to monitor2. Then go full-screen.
Thanks.
I already tried this, though, several times.
That was what I meant by "Even if I manually set up the two windows on separate monitors, the next time I start VB it again opens both windows on the host's main screen."
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

What if while in full-screen you press HostKey+Home » View » Virtual Screen # » Use Host Screen #. Does that help?

PS: instead of the HostKey+Home you can access the View menu from the Mini-toolbar, if that thing works in your setup. it's a Russian roulette... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
OppfinnarJocke

Post by OppfinnarJocke »

socratis wrote:What if while in full-screen you press HostKey+Home » View » Virtual Screen # » Use Host Screen #. Does that help?

PS: instead of the HostKey+Home you can access the View menu from the Mini-toolbar, if that thing works in your setup. it's a Russian roulette... ;)
Thanks for the help. Some progress... If I shut down the guest OS (W10x86pro) when in full screen mode with the windows set up on the respective monitors, the VM starts up in full screen mode displaying on both monitors. However, the second monitor then comes up the wrong size, not full screen but with a thick grey border around the guest OS window (maybe same size as the first monitor, but I am not sure). If I exit full screen, and then go full screen again the guest OS is full screen also on the second monitor.

But this is still not the same as before I installed the latest version of VB. Previously, VB's first window (entitled "W10x86pro [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox : 1") opened on the main monitor and VB's second window ("W10x86pro [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox : 2") opened on the second monitor. Not VB's full screen mode, but the windows maximized. That does not work that way for me any longer.

I guess I'll have to live with it the way it is now...

BTW, when I press HostKey+Home > View > Virtual Screen # there is no Use Host Screen #, I can only enable (and it is already enabled) and then there are a lot of Resize to nnn x mmm.

EDIT: If I hit HostKey+F when the two windows are overlayed on each other on the first monitor, then the guest OS goes full screen correctly on both monitors. Hitting HostKey+F again, results in teh two windows maximized on the respective monitors. So there is sort of a work around... Thanks.