Windows 10 update broke bridged networking

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
afu

Windows 10 update broke bridged networking

Post by afu »

Just received updates from MS and now bridged network is broken. Host network is AC-3165 wireless in my desktop.

Window 10 Version 1703 Build 15063.540
Updates installed: Cumulative 2017-08 (KB4034674) and a Flash player update.

Virtualbox: 5.1.26 r117224 and an older version (don't remember which, 5.1.20 possibly)

Uninstall/reinstall didn't solve the issue.

Is it just me or are other people seeing this too?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Windows 10 update broke bridged networking

Post by BillG »

That update had no effect on my bridged networking, but I am not using wireless.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer.
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  5. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  6. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  7. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
afu

Post by afu »

Unfortunately that didn't work. Thanks though. I found a few issues I need to check on when I ran ccleaner. Probably nothing.

Anyway, I'll keep digging a post back as it goes. I can get by on NAT but need to get bridged working again to keep my test network running.
afu

Post by afu »

No luck. I installed wireshark on the linux guest and can see the DHCP requests with no reply in bridged mode. Did the uninstall/reg clean/reboot/reinstall again and still no connection.

I think something is still left over in the system after uninstall and reg clean though because reinstall knows where my VM's are located, which is a non-default location on my D drive. Don't know. Really would like to get bridged mode back online but not sure what else I can do other than NAT at this point.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. If you go to Network and Sharing Center » Change adapter settings » your WiFi adapter » Properties, do you see the VirtualBox Bridged Adapter option? Is it checked?
  2. If you try with a wired Ethernet adapter, does it work?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
afu

Post by afu »

Thanks for your help Socratis.

1). Virtualbox NDIS6 Bridged network driver is there and checked.
2). Didn't try that as I would have to move desktop into a different room.

I also tried to set up a bridged network linking VB hostonly network to wireless as a test but that didn't work either. see first answer here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/319 ... windows-10

Weird. Was working but something in that update killed it, though looking at the KB description I don't see anything. Tried turning host firewall off too but still didn't work. Would like to figure it out but at this point may not be worth the extra time.

If you have any other ideas I'll be glad to try though.