Keyboard stops work. How to fix this?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
PavloM

Keyboard stops work. How to fix this?

Post by PavloM »

I use Windows 10 host with Ubuntu 16.04.2 guest and connect to virtual box RDP server from Windows 7 with Windows 7 mstsc.exe RDP client.

The virtualbox version is 5.1.22 r115126

The issue is that keyboard stops work in guest. This mean I can press any key without effect. Same time keyboard works fine within Windows 7 pc. Mouse works fine and I able to send the shutdown command to guest within Ubuntu GUI. I tried to show the guest on host computer after keyboard stops work and see there keyboard not works either. In host itself keyboard works without any issues. I was able to solve this with shut down/load guest.

This never happen immediately after guest start, but I shut down and load guest almost every day because of this issue.

Here the log I zipped today just after keyboard stop work.
Attachments
Logs (2).zip
Log file from ubuntu guest VM
(144.53 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Keyboard stops work. How to fix this?

Post by mpack »

Has this VM ever worked before under VirtualBox and on this host?

The usual reason for something like this, IMHO, is that the image came from another VM platform (VMWare or Win7 XP mode), and the guest has not been purged of the guest tools from that platform.
PavloM

Post by PavloM »

This guest VM created and work only on this host. It was never used outside of Virtual Box. I create it about a month ago, so the VirtualBox version is the same from the begining of this VM life.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Observations in no particular order.

For future reference, please note that logs are only flushed to disk when the VirtualBox application is closed, so grabbing all the logs after something important happens - but before closing VirtualBox - simply ensures that I won't get to see what that important thing was. Also I don't need to see 5 copies of the log, just one relevant log will do (i.e. VBox.log), and uses much less server storage space.

I continue to see signs thats this VM was moved from another host. For example the VM path is "C:\VM\" which is not the default container. Did you override the default? Why?

I also see :-
00:00:01.947139 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll: rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdm.inf_amd64_16a2b84d76fc369e\nvinitx.dll: WinVerifyTrust failed with hrc=CERT_E_CHAINING on '\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdm.inf_amd64_16a2b84d76fc369e\nvinitx.dll'
00:00:01.947202 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdm.inf_amd64_16a2b84d76fc369e\nvinitx.dll' (C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvdm.inf_amd64_16a2b84d76fc369e\nvinitx.dll): rcNt=0xc0000190
This may be a separate problem, or it may have strange side effects. A Google search tells me that this is an NVidia "shim" driver (i.e. a driver that intercepts WinAPI calls and redirects them to hardware accelerated versions. 3D acceleration to NVidia graphics will fail without this driver, possibly locking up the VM. You need to check for updated NVidia drivers.

Strangely, the log also shows this :-
00:00:02.317813 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VENDOR: Intel
00:00:02.317826 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
00:00:02.317828 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VERSION: 4.4.0 - Build 21.20.16.4574
I.e. Intel graphics. Not Nvidia. Do you have multiple monitors, or multiple graphics cards?
00:00:02.344639 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
00:00:04.019574 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
You have assigned all four cores to the VM. Leaving the host with 0 cores for its exclusive use. This will not make it happy. FAQ: Cores vs Threads. I would assign no more than 2 cores to this VM.
00:00:02.344777 [/Devices/ichac97/] (level 2)
You have AC'97 audio enabled. VirtualBox 5.1.22 and 5.1.24 had problems with AC'97 audio. I suggest that you upgrade to 5.1.26.

A final concern is that you have a Windows 10 host, raising the possibility that some vestige of Hyper-v is enabled. To check the status of Hyper-v in Windows 10, <right click start> | Run | OptionalFeatures.exe, and look for the "Hyper-V" option. The box should be empty, not checked or shaded. Make sure to fully power down and reboot the host after changing this setting.

That's probably enough for now.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:You have AC'97 audio enabled. VirtualBox 5.1.22 and 5.1.24 had problems with AC'97 audio. I suggest that you upgrade to 5.1.26.
Actually I believe it's the other way around and it's the 5.1.26 release that has the problem with AC97. See the comment from michaln in the "Discuss the 5.1.26 release":
There is a regression in 5.1.26 which can cause VMs with AC'97 audio configured to crash. So far the problem has only been seen on Windows hosts, and it's somewhat random (which means that some users will see it almost all the time and other users almost never).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PavloM

Post by PavloM »

Ok. I will update the latest logs when it happen after VM shutdown.

As about path C:\VM - yes, I always change it after install of VirtualBox here: Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager - File - Preferences - General - Default Machine Folder. I think it is good to not mess my data with any Windows folders and have short path. Also this helps me to know the path I applied, instead of search. Is this a problem?

About hardware and videocard. The host built on Dell laptop Inspiron 15 7000. http://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/p ... /fncwf512s. I ugraded RAM only so now it is 32GB. It have NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5 video card.

The Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core processor have 4 physical cores and 8 logical cores, also it contains
Intel® HD Graphics 630. http://ark.intel.com/products/97185/Int ... o-3_80-GHz

So this laptop have one graphic card and one more graphic adapter inside of Intel i7 processor. I use this gaming laptop because it have good cooling, processor power and long battery life. Actually I not know why this could be something unusual as many up-to-date intel processors have graphic adapters. Right?

Windows 10 host says Nvidia driver up to date, I just checked its version 21.21.13.7320. I got this laptop on May 2017, so other drivers should be latest for that dates.

The processor cores number shown in VirtualBox is 8, exactly as number of virtual processor cores, and I assigned to my VM 4 cores. As I understand this means that VM uses 2 physical cores. For me it looks like logs show you virtual cores number here
00:00:02.344639 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
As I not VirtualBox developer, I cannot be sure here. Please correct me If I wrong.

When I connect over RDP I use one 23" inch monitor (1920X1080). I have second monitor on Win 7 RDP client PC, and would like to use it, though after few tries I not found any good stable working config over RDP for Ubuntu guest and use just one for now. This is the separate topic though. When I use VM locally on Windows 10 host I use just one native laptop screen.

I cannot understand how Win'97 audio could affect keyboard, though I will update VirtualBox to 5.1.26.

Hyper-V is absent as Windows 10 Home edition not contains it.

====

At the bottom line I updated VirtualBox to 5.1.26 to be safe with Win'97 audio, updated windows 10 host.

Will put logs here if issue will appear.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

There is no such thing as a "logical core". Please read the FAQ via the link I provided.
PavloM wrote:Actually I not know why this could be something unusual as many up-to-date intel processors have graphic adapters.
I don't recall saying that having multiple graphics cards or chipsets is unusual. I do find it slightly strange that the NVidia shim was loaded when Intel was the active card. However that may just be a Windows thing.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

socratis wrote:
mpack wrote:You have AC'97 audio enabled. VirtualBox 5.1.22 and 5.1.24 had problems with AC'97 audio. I suggest that you upgrade to 5.1.26.
Actually I believe it's the other way around and it's the 5.1.26 release that has the problem with AC97.
Ah yes. I conflated some separate issues. 5.1.26 indeed included a number of fixes related to audio as the changelog shows, but the AC'97 problem wasn't among them: that is a new regression.
PavloM

Post by PavloM »

Got your point about processors number. Will make it smaller.

About this:
I don't recall saying that having multiple graphics cards or chipsets is unusual. I do find it slightly strange that the NVidia shim was loaded when Intel was the active card. However that may just be a Windows thing.
I am not sure is this the case and not know this exactly, but as I understand gaming laptop should be able to switch graphic adapter on the fly. This is because it should be less power consumptive while not gaming. Here is Intel graphic works, but if I will run the game, laptop should use NVidia card.
PavloM

Post by PavloM »

Here the log just after the VM lost keyboard and I shut it down.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(31.62 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
PavloM

Post by PavloM »

I found one more thing. When keyboard turns off I was able to make it work but in strange way. It works in manner like I would hold the ALT key, so instead of typing I get application menu shortcuts like ALT+F => menu "file".

My laptop (windows 10 host) have a keyboard, but this trick works only with other keyboard connected with USB to laptop.

While on host and see VM in VirtualBox window I enter Devices - USB - China resource Semico Co., Ltd USB keyboard. After doing this I get the effect described.

After that I tried to turn off usb controller in VirtualBox, but this not help.

Also I found a topic about similar issue https://askubuntu.com/questions/772056/ ... untu-16-04 so now I not sure is this a problem with Ubuntu or VirtualBox or both as there is no accepted answer.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Try typing the Ctrl or Alt keys. Perhaps you have gotten stuck in the Ctrl or Alt -pressed state.
PavloM

Post by PavloM »

Today I get issue but slightly different. In RDP client window keyboard stops working. Then I come to host laptop and shown the VM. Keyboard not works. Then I go to Devices-> USB-> (My USB Keyboard) and keyboard starts work in laptop (Without any ALT or CTRL strange behavior! Just like it should work). Only USB attached keyboard works, the laptop keyboard is still silent. Keyboard still not work in in RDP session.

So now I need to reboot to get keyboard over RDP.

I tried some things within guest Ubuntu https://askubuntu.com/questions/945245/ ... virtualbox but this not helps either.

Is there any chance to this issue be resolved if I switch to Debian or it probably will end up with same as Ubuntu?
PavloM

Post by PavloM »

Update

I tried to not use VirtualBox RDP server. Now I work with native VirtualBox cleint. My host and guest working without reboots for a wek and keyboard work stable. For me it looks like the VirtualBox RDP server conflicts with Ubuntu 16.0.4.2 somehow...
egnbr

Post by egnbr »

I almost had the same problem (VB 5.26).
I am using a Win7 Enterprise 64 host and I have a virtual XP in use for 3-4 years with no abnormality. Now it has the same keyboard freeze. But the mouse click is also ignored.
I think the mouse events message is received by XP processes (the button is raised, the hint text is shown ...), but the click event message is ignored.

Any ideas ??