Hardening issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
j4v1

Hardening issue

Post by j4v1 »

Hello,
I am having a hardening issue.

Coincidentally, past Saturday (two days ago) I undertook a Windows Update on my machine. I did not use VirtualBox then, until today, Monday.
Before that VirtualBox could run my VM without any issues. (If this has to do with the issue) Other pást updates did not get in the way.

Yes, I've followed the indications given in the pinned tutorial by @mpack:

I've run sfc /scannow (Mentioned that there were errors repaired).
I've run the above command twice more, as it is indicated in an answers microsoft forum article. (Cannot post the link because I am a new member and as such I am forbidden to do so before a day has passed).

Then I've ran the DISM command indicated in such article.

But to no avail.

(I've seen in the hardening log plenty of the following strings for many .dll s and .drv files in the log: [lacks WinVerifyTrust])

I am attaching the hardening log and my machine details, including the installer file name I used.

I truly appreciate any help you can provide.
Vbox-hardening-issue.zip
includes the VBoxhardening.log
(8.4 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
error image
error image
Vbox-hardening-issue.png (14.63 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
Last edited by j4v1 on 8. Aug 2017, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Hardening issue

Post by socratis »

Please read the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.

In your case it's most probably the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.

PS. You didn't have to include the "DxDiag-j4v1.txt" or the "VBox-dets.txt" files...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
j4v1

Post by j4v1 »

socratis wrote:Please read the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.
Yes, I've read that one and followed the steps indicated.
socratis wrote: In your case it's most probably the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
I had that one removed long time ago, but just to be sure I re ran its mb_clean tool, even from the registry. VBox issue persists.
But despite that, I haven't had any issues running VirtualBox three days ago. I did not install nor did any straneous operation, other than the Windows Update that I mentioned.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Once again, please go thoroughly through the FAQ. Something is not right in your setup and it's trying to inject in the VirtualBox process. The FAQ has not been shown to fail so far...
j4v1 wrote:Coincidentally, past Saturday (two days ago) I undertook a Windows Update on my machine.
That's a big "problem". Are you running a fast-ring release? Did you update VirtualBox after the installation? You should.
j4v1 wrote:I had that one removed long time ago
Well, apparently not. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
j4v1

Post by j4v1 »

socratis wrote:Once again, please go thoroughly through the FAQ.
I will go again through the FAQ.
socratis wrote:Did you update VirtualBox after the installation? You should.
I would, but so happens in the past that the expected release version of VirtualBox would not work right. I had relied on another forum post which pointed to some other VirtualBox builds that did work, but I lost reference to that forum post. Would be great to find that post again.
Currently the build I am using is one of those that do work ok in Windows 10 (well, worked before this issue).
socratis wrote:Well, apparently not. ;)
I refered to Malwarebytes with this.
j4v1

Post by j4v1 »

***UPDATE***:

I reverted the Windows update to previous version and VirtualBox is working well.

As a side note: My machine is using the Windows Insider program, in the slow ring.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

j4v1 wrote:My machine is using the Windows Insider program
That right there could be a problem. Widnows' Insider program is really a bunch of betas, and y'all who use it are beta testers. So you have figured out that the version of Virtualbox you had may not be compatible with the version of Insider you were running. Although, a reinstall of the same version might work.

FWIW, after a big update like a new version of Insider, or regular pay-for 10 like Anniversary or Creators for that matter, a uninstall and reinstall of Virtualbox is a required step. VB can't make it safe through Windows major updates. You may also have to upgrade VB to a newer version, although not necessarily the most recent version available. Virtualbox is now offering 5.1.26, as of August 9, 2017. My work PC just went through Creators Update. 5.1.26 and 5.1.24 are having some glitches, so I put on 5.1.22. Works just fine for my guests.

You should expect that new Insider versions will require at least a reinstall of the version of Virtualbox you have now, if not an upgrade of VB. And fast-ringers may not have working Virtualbox for a while if at all. Virtualbox developers develop for the stable versions of Windows, not the Insider versions.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Wow. My experience is different. Basically, these days, if you are running the latest released VirtualBox, then VirtualBox will be just fine when upgrading from one public Windows build to another.

For Insider builds, please use this forum:
VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases
viewforum.php?f=38

For your particular problem, it was fully diagnosed on July 7th in a thread within that forum, where changes that Microsoft made (starting with Build 16237) required changes in VirtualBox, which Oracle fixed in 5.1.24 on July 18th. See this thread for full details:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=83732
... and the reason you're just now seeing the problem, is because the Slow ring just picked up a build that is 16237 or higher, necessitating VirtualBox 5.1.24. I'm very familiar with it, because I have programs that require 5.0.x API calls, and so I had to switch the my Release partitions since Slow ring won't work for me anymore :)

Finally, please be MUCH MORE SPECIFIC when you're trying to give info about a problem. What version of Windows, exactly? What update, exactly? What version of VirtualBox, exactly? etc.

TLDR: Use that "VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases" forum, and upgrade to latest 5.1.26.

Thanks,
Jacob